Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2015, 07:20 PM

Harveys furniture - diy construction

Hi all,
I've been talking recently about emptying out my lounge unit to replace with one from Ikea, so all my stuff can go into their nice coloured boxes. However, I feel I've hit a snag.

I thought it was a simple hex key that put it together. My sister's partner did it for me, as they had an identical unit. However, he's been dead 4 years and goodness knows if sis kept all his tools.

None of my keys fit the slot.

My bezzie mate said he'd help me dismantle it, and help with the Ikea units, but does anyone know if Harveys use a standard key size? Do they sell a replacement? I've not yet told him but he might or might not have the right fitment.

If he doesn't, I'm in dead shtuck!!

I tried taking a photo but there is insufficient light.

Any suggestions, please?
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2015, 08:01 PM

Re: Harveys furniture - diy construction

The 99p shops do a whole set. Well they did. Or look on eBay.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2015, 08:28 PM

Assume this is the same as an Allen key ?
You can get imperial ones and metric ones.

An alternative plan would be to take it outside and set fire to it.
We did this with my Edwardian Chesterfield some months ago
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2015, 09:35 PM

might be a Torx screw, like this? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=to..._0jORNt3ECM%3A
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2015, 10:16 PM

Ewwww, confused now! Set fire to it, Rachel? Yeh, me neighbours would love that!!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2015, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Ewwww, confused now! Set fire to it, Rachel? Yeh, me neighbours would love that!!
Just advertise it on Streetlife or Gumtree and get the buyer/collector to dismantle it.

Or you could chop it up into bits and put it in the dustbin.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

26-09-2015, 08:42 AM

Thing is Rachel, I had planned on using the different sections elsewhere, to recycle. It absolutely has to come apart, so I can continue with my rearrangement of the lounge storage. The upright glass fronted cabinet is staying in situ.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

26-09-2015, 08:45 AM

Go to my photo albums, and look at the pic in Misc. gives you an idea of the unit.

Can't post the photo direct from the iPad, unless anyone has any ideas how to do it. Ta.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2015, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
might be a Torx screw, like this? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=to..._0jORNt3ECM%3A
That's it, confuse her more.
Nice sets though.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

26-09-2015, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Go to my photo albums, and look at the pic in Misc. gives you an idea of the unit.

Can't post the photo direct from the iPad, unless anyone has any ideas how to do it. Ta.
ah ... I see what you mean.
That's a useful piece of 'stuff'.

If you can't manage to get a key, then could you drill out the metal fixings ?

Tried ringing Harvey's ? ... email them with a close-up pic ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top