Join for free
Page 141 of 370 « First < 41 91 131 139 140 141 142 143 151 191 241 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 05:38 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Goodness me! Everybody is not very tooth-friendly on here right now are they, even Bob's cat has got gum trouble too. Hope you all get some relief soon. Meanwhile I shall refrain from eating any chocolate or biting into anything too hard which may yank out a filling or worse. I couldn't face going to see the gob doctor on my weekend off!
Get well soon all and hope you keep your running shoes ready to step into once you're all okay

I'll be finishing work imminently for the weekend and following my sleep this morning then the school run later, I'll be hitting the gym around 4pm today.
As I mentioned I've revamped my training programme a touch to include some heavier sets and also a little cardio. It will be easier for me to do the weights today as I won't have enough time for a serious workout in the morning. That will be the start of my cardio instead.

Back later with a write-up. Have a nice day all, pending the tooth situation of course!
Granny J
Hampshire
Granny J is female 

13-04-2018, 03:43 PM

I try to walk a few miles a day.
Today I've done a 5 miles one, though sometimes they are shorter.
I walk with a walking for health group once a week, but their walks are no longer than two and a half miles.
I tried the gym, but found it rather boring.
I enjoy walking on my own. I listen to music from my mobile, and sometimes dramas I've downloaded.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 08:31 PM

I really don’t know how to begin my write-up today. I can just say that without a shadow of a doubt this session has been not only the most enjoyable one for the last two or so years, but the most productive. I felt like I was on fire in that gym!

Putting into place a revised programme but using my same favourite exercises, I went about doing the proposed so-called ‘strength session’ but adding some of the exercises from my usual ‘reps-based’ routine also. I went heavier on many exercises than I have done for quite some time and being in a pretty fit and strong condition after my recent programme I handled all this very well.

Just to recap and note: The strength exercises were done on a series of sets with heavier weights doing either 8, 5 or 3 reps a piece, very slowly. This increases tension and so builds muscle and endurance. Higher reps are designed for stamina and fitness. The usual sets of higher reps with the ‘plus reps’ sets are included in my new routine.

I surpassed two hours and this lengthy write-up will no doubt take me some time, so let’s get on with it…my apologies if this is all a bit confusing to some members!

Friday, 13 Apr 18: Upper body strength workout (including ‘reps’ session).
(All weights in kgs.)

DB press, incline bench:
12x20 warm-up
8x24, 5x28, 5x28, 5x28, 3x32
*This exercise is a good example of my new routine. Normally I would perform say, 15+ reps on a starting weight of 20-22kgs. On these strength exercises I started here at 24kg and did enough reps to ‘feel the burn’ then went higher on the extra sets, this time reaching a maximum of 64kgs – which is pushing up a 32kg dumbbell with each hand. I’ll lift more next week.

Lat pulldown, hammer bar:
8x50, 8x65, 5x75, 5x80, 3x85
Five sets does seem to be a good goal to be honest. On the reps training I’m pulling 40-45kg, today I reached the max of 85 which is still way off my personal best (from years ago!) but I think it’s actually close to do-able again before too long.

Incline chest press:
8x50, 8x65, 5x75, 5x80, 3x85

Single DB press:
44kg: 25+2, 20+2
50kg: 26
*As you see this is one of the exercises from my concurrent ‘reps-based’ routine. 50kg is the biggest dumbbell in the gym, so I was very pleased with managing 26 reps on that today!

Triceps pulldown:
53kg: 20+3, 16+2
59kg: 11

Fly dec:
72.5kg: 25+3, 20+3
80kg: 15

Smith flat bench press:
8x60, 5x70

Barbell curl, standing:
35kg: 10, 10
40kg: 5, 3
*A very heavy weight to lift on a bar just using the biceps.

E-Z bar seated preacher curl:
8x33, 8x43, 5x48, 3x53, 3x53
*Lifting 40kg on the barbell above is pleasing, but on this I increased that to 53, albeit seated. If I manage 60kg soon that will be the heaviest I have lifted with my biceps since my bodybuilding days when I could arm curl 70. But that’s 20 years ago and I don’t think I could do that again!

Forearm reverse curl, barbell:
15kg: 12+3, 10+3
20: 6

DB concentration curl, alt.:
5x18, 5x18, 5x18, 5x20, 3x22
*Biceps looking quite silly at this stage!

Cable curl, alt.:
8x10, 5x12.5, 3x15
*Never liked cable exercises, my hands scrape on the plastic grips so I won’t be doing these too often!

Tricep extensions:
50kg: 20+3, 15+2
55kg: 12

Ab crunch:
30kg: 50, 50

**Normally I would finish with this exercise but I felt like doing more and more, so back I went for some more exercise!...

DB hammer curl, standing, alt.:
16kg: 6, 6
18kg: 4

Machine arm curls, both arms:
30kg: 20+2, 15+2
35kg: 8

E-Z bar preacher curl:
25x23kg high reps

Pec dec:
50x30kg high reps

2hr. 10mins.

That time is not far off a record in the gym for me, at least for quite some time anyway. I couldn’t believe how much energy I had today. I’d had virtually nothing to eat since I woke up earlier in the afternoon but I didn’t feel hungry, I was just drinking plenty of water. I had hardly any rest between sets or moving from exercise to exercise and I certainly didn’t feel anywhere near my 53 years.
Best not to dwell on it and relish this situation I guess!

I’m all geared up for my first cardio session in the morning, so hopefully my body clock won’t be too out of synch tonight and I’ll get a decent sleep in the end!

Thanks for reading.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 10:06 AM

Sounds like a brilliant session Floydy, and they don't come along very often, it's good if you can find the recipe so it can be repeated to order. It was something I always tried to do before a marathon. How to build up to the perfect run...Trouble is, they seem to come along when least expected, and for no apparent reason. Well done anyway.

It's off to Hornsea today for a spot of beachcombing while Mrs Fox and Daughter go in search of a wedding dress at Rockport. My aching gum has made me feel crap and interfered with my running/walking progress, so I've got another appointment with the dentist on Tuesday.....Roll on....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

14-04-2018, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sounds like a brilliant session Floydy, and they don't come along very often, it's good if you can find the recipe so it can be repeated to order. It was something I always tried to do before a marathon. How to build up to the perfect run...Trouble is, they seem to come along when least expected, and for no apparent reason. Well done anyway.

It's off to Hornsea today for a spot of beachcombing while Mrs Fox and Daughter go in search of a wedding dress at Rockport. My aching gum has made me feel crap and interfered with my running/walking progress, so I've got another appointment with the dentist on Tuesday.....Roll on....
It's my old self paying me a long-awaited revisit, Bob I think. The bodybuilding side of me telling me to get back into that way of life again.
It won't happen of course, I'm too old and don't have the time to get into that kind of shape again, but it's nice to know I can still find that strength somewhere to almost match my previous form. I'll do a session like that each Friday if possible, really enjoyed it. But, hell, I felt dead to the world this morning - my best sleep on a Friday night in ages!

We almost though of taking a quick trip to Hornsea ourselves this morning bud, as my wife said it would do me good to get some air and loosen up my limbs! But I was happier staying in bed!
Have a great day mate, and hope that tooth sorts itself out soon
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 03:33 PM

Congratulations on your workout, Floydy! tt must have felt truly satisfying to know that you still can push yourself to that level of strength, which is what it should be about anyway. Balance will keep you feeling fit, without overly taxing your joints. I think it's n excellent plan to once again incorporated some cardio work into your routine. Your heart will thank you later . What cardio exercise are you thinking about doing?

Really sorry to hear about your continued pain, OGF and it's a good call to see your dentist. My saga is just beginning .

Anyhow, the sun is shining so my daughter and I are off for a five miler on the beach road. More later!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2018, 11:03 AM

Some good news this morning, dressed in proper running kit for the first time since 8th February I stepped out into a mild spring like morning and set the stopwatch. I didn't expect to jog all the way round my five mile route, and for the first couple of miles running through the woods my legs were begging for some rest. After a layoff from running the legs deteriorate faster than the lungs, so although my breathing was relaxed my legs were not.

So I staggered and wandered along the footpath by the side of the busy main road, being observed by the long line of motorists, not daring to stop and walk while wearing running kit. I promised myself a walk once I arrived at the turnoff which led to the country lane and the three mile marker. I decided I would make my way past the two or three dog walkers before I stopped for a walk, so after a hail of 'Good Mornings' I picked my through the canines and humans and disappeared across a field and into the country proper.

With just one mile to go it would be a shame to walk now, so I navigated around partly dried up puddles and sloshy muddy tractor trails, zig zagging first to one side of the lane and then the other, it must have added another half mile to my run. I soon felt the hard tarmac beneath my feet as I reached the road at the end of the lane, and with just a few hundred yards to go I gritted my teeth and 'dug in'... My first run since early February and it was nice to be back although the time needs some work....Five miles in fifty seven minutes is somewhat of an embarrassment, but as long as I don't tell anyone how long it took me....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

15-04-2018, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Congratulations on your workout, Floydy!-). What cardio exercise are you thinking about doing?
Anyhow, the sun is shining so my daughter and I are off for a five miler on the beach road. More later!
Thanks Suzie
The cardio was shelved due to my lack of energy yesterday morning and plans for the afternoon, which you may have seen on another thread. There's always next week!
Good luck on the beach run, both of you

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Some good news this morning, dressed in proper running kit for the first time since 8th February I stepped out into a mild spring like morning and set the stopwatch. I didn't expect to jog all the way round my five mile route, and for the first couple of miles running through the woods my legs were begging for some rest. After a layoff from running the legs deteriorate faster than the lungs, so although my breathing was relaxed my legs were not.

So I staggered and wandered along the footpath by the side of the busy main road, being observed by the long line of motorists, not daring to stop and walk while wearing running kit. I promised myself a walk once I arrived at the turnoff which led to the country lane and the three mile marker. I decided I would make my way past the two or three dog walkers before I stopped for a walk, so after a hail of 'Good Mornings' I picked my through the canines and humans and disappeared across a field and into the country proper.

With just one mile to go it would be a shame to walk now, so I navigated around partly dried up puddles and sloshy muddy tractor trails, zig zagging first to one side of the lane and then the other, it must have added another half mile to my run. I soon felt the hard tarmac beneath my feet as I reached the road at the end of the lane, and with just a few hundred yards to go I gritted my teeth and 'dug in'... My first run since early February and it was nice to be back although the time needs some work....Five miles in fifty seven minutes is somewhat of an embarrassment, but as long as I don't tell anyone how long it took me....
Hey Bob, you've done fantastically well with this run, it must have been so satisfying completing such a gruelling course too, through the woods etc. Well done, bud and it doesn't matter how long it took you...you have proved that you can do this once again and that's praise enough

Missed my legs session today as well, incidentally, which will have to happen tomorrow now or I'll be right out of synch with my new programme!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2018, 04:47 PM

oh heck, you guys are making me feel so bad. The only exercise I got today was exercising my brain THINKING about going to the gym for a swim but then my brain thought "oh sod it" so I came home and put me feet up on the recliner and watched Corrie omnibus!!!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

15-04-2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
oh heck, you guys are making me feel so bad. The only exercise I got today was exercising my brain THINKING about going to the gym for a swim but then my brain thought "oh sod it" so I came home and put me feet up on the recliner and watched Corrie omnibus!!!
You're not alone, Lion Queen. All I felt like doing was chilling out after an event-filled couple of days.
Friday's gym session was enormous and it took the wind out of my sails a bit. I've only just recovered but I'm seeing some improvements already, pleased to say.
And yesterday's afternoon out was plentiful, should we say!
Today I've pottered around the house, being on here a lot and went out for a drive just to get some air.
It's what weekends are all about aren't they?
Back to the toil and grind of work tonight

Page 141 of 370 « First < 41 91 131 139 140 141 142 143 151 191 241 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top