Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 12:47 PM

Re: Immune system.

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I was referring to his mention of apricot kernels, (they contain cyanide), also the advice not to use sun creams, stating they are a scam. Let us hope he doesn't get melanonmas. Grapefruit too is a no no when taking many medications.

As for steroid injections, I have now had two for my knee problems, a complete waste of time, they haven't made a blind bit of difference. So I will just have to put up with the pain as I have refused replacement surgery.

Knee replacement surgery is quite painful when its done and for a couple weeks thereafter, but believe me its well worth the initial aggro to be a lot more comfortable afterwards darlin'
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Knee replacement surgery is quite painful when its done and for a couple weeks thereafter, but believe me its well worth the initial aggro to be a lot more comfortable afterwards darlin'
UJ, I have had a lifetime of surgeries, the most recent took me twelve months to gain some semblence of a life, so I simply cant face another setback at my age. Another problem is that I cannot tolerate any form of analgesics, so paracetamol is the only pain relief I can take. Thankfully my pain threshhold is quite high, so I will live with it.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 04:43 PM

I was on steroids (prednisone) for a while because of a bad outbreak of eczema. I didn't really get colds or the flu, etc, but I did end up with a UTI. But besides that, while on the prednisone, it was the best I've felt in years. I have really bad body aches and joint pain. I can't even walk up 2 or 3 steps without struggling. And most days I don't walk - I hobble. But while taking the prednisone, I went up and down long flights of stairs with no problem and could have easily taken a jog around the block, whereas most days I struggle to simply walk. If I crouch down, I can't get back up without the help of surrounding furniture because of the pain and no strength in my legs. But while taking the prednisone, I felt invincible, lol. I'd crouch down and bounce right back up again with no effort.

My doctor, though, refuses to let me take them long term and I don't really want to take them long term. But it was nice while it lasted.

Well, now to hobble off to my kitchen to get started on food prep.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 06:10 PM

I have been on Prednisolone for about eight years now in varying dosages. I have been advised to stay on them permanently. The main side effect I get is weight gain, particularly when I increase my dose with an RA flare-up. My consultant trusts me to adjust the dosage to suit.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 07:13 PM

I think I might have to place Prednisilone on my banned list. Consultant gave me a four month course of Prednisilone whilst I was in hospital back in March. Problem is, I'm also Diabetic - Prednisilone sent my blood sugar levels through the roof. Now I'm off the Pred, blood sugar levels have returned to something like normal again.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 07:52 PM

May I recommend taking Acidophilus, this is healthy bacteria.
This will help retain a balance in your gut.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 08:07 PM

I have been on Prednisolone for about eight years now in varying dosages. I have been advised to stay on them permanently. The main side effect I get is weight gain, particularly when I increase my dose with an RA flare-up. My consultant trusts me to adjust the dosage to suit.
Some people do stay on it for years, especially those who have severe arthritis. Prednisone is a very powerful anti-inflammatory. Which is why I felt physically spectacular while taking it. It was incredible. For years I've dealt with joint pain and nothing has helped, not even prescription painkillers. But during the time I took the prednisone, I physically felt 25 years younger.

I've had one cortisone shot in my shoulder and that helped quite a bit. I'd like to get them in my hips, but we keep forgetting about it every time I see my doctor.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2017, 06:29 PM

I was referring to his mention of apricot kernels, (they contain cyanide)
Oh dear here we go. The naysayers without the true info. How many times must we put these un-informed comments straight?

Apricot Kernels . . . and a whole host of other seeds, pits, stones and fruits and vegetables, contain a substance called Amygdalin which can ultimately be broken down into Hydrogen Cyanide and other compounds.

Let us be under absolutely no allusions here. When you eat any of the fruits and vegetables that contain Amygdalin, you are ingesting a quantity of Hydrogen Cyanide. This is a GOOD thing because it kills unwanted organisms.

Let's review the list of foods, they include :

Beans that supply medium to high amounts of amygdalin include fava, mung, lentils and Burma lima beans. There's also Cassava (tapioca), butter beans and sorghum.

Apple, cherry, peach, pear and plum seeds contain amygdalin.

Flaxseed, millet seed and buckwheat contain medium amounts of amygdalin

Raspberries, elderberries, currants, mulberries, wild strawberries and huckleberries contain medium amounts of amygdalin.

Crabapples, wild blackberries and Swedish cranberries contain high amounts of amygdalin.

Sprouts often contain amygdalin in medium to high amounts. Bamboo sprouts are listed as having high amounts, while alfalfa, fava, garbanzo and mung sprouts contain medium amounts.

Of the nuts that contain amygdalin, bitter almond contains the highest amounts, but macadamia nuts, cashews and pecans also supply amygdalin.

And so it goes on !

Funny isn't it. All our lives we've been eating many of these foods without the slightest thought or worry of amygdalin intake and indeed most people have been totally oblivious that they contain amounts of Hydrogen Cyanide. Now suddenly, with the advent of the discovery that Amygdalin helps kill cancer cells, the powers that be are making a big deal of it all and doing their level best to remove the best sources of Amygdalin. It's almost as if they want us to have cancer isn't it ?!!

Ok, so we've busted the sensational nonsense about apricot seeds and other foods containing Hydrogen Cyanide. It's absolutely nothing to worry about UNLESS we start eating stupid amounts of them.

The same would be true of bananas and lots of other fruits and vegetables. If you go eating stupid amounts of them, you will make yourself sick.

So the $million question is . . . . How much amygdalin is too much?

Well, the National Institute of Health’s database on toxic substances says a 150-pound human can safely consume 703 miligrams of hydrogen cyanide per day before beginning to suffer any ill effects.

(https://www.livestrong.com/article/3...trile-in-food/)

According to scientific analyses, raw apricot seeds contain an average of about 432 miligrams of hydrogen cyanide per ounce (about 48 seeds).

Thirty raw peach seeds also comes to an ounce and contain around 204 miligrams of hydrogen cyanide. And 200 raw cherry seeds, also an ounce, contain a relatively low 117 miligrams of the substance.

It should be obvious then that you would have to eat a ridiculous amount of apricot kernels or other fruit seeds/pits to come near to making yourself ill.

Most anti-cancer protocols suggest no more than 10 kernels per day.

People do need to do their research here because it's patently clear that Big Pharma wants to protect its lucrative cancer treatment apparatus which includes drugs, treatments, staff training and a whole industry of profitable products and services which are all dependent on giving as many people cancer as possible. Be under no allusions, cancer IS A BIG BUSINESS. It generates many $billions every year for evil fat cats.

Know the truth and be well informed so you can make a good decision for your own health. This isn't just about those who have cancer. It is equally vital for everyone else in being proactive to PREVENT cancer developing.

also the advice not to use sun creams, stating they are a scam. Let us hope he doesn't get melanonmas.
Do think this through. Mankind has been on this planet for 1000s of years. How on earth did mankind ever survive to this point being exposed daily to the sun's rays with no expensive sun creams to protect them? How come they didn't all die of skin cancer?

The answer should be obvious. The sun is life. It is essential for all life on this planet. Only wicked people would tell you otherwise. No-one is suggesting you sit out in the sun and let yourself burn, that would be patently silly. But exposure to the sun's rays is absolutely 100% essential for good health, no question. Your skin absorbs the energy and your body converts it. Without it, you will most certainly become sick and unhealthy. Blocking your skins pores with chemicals and synthetic crap and allowing the same to boil in the sun is frankly stupid when you think it through.

Enjoy the sun, little and often. As soon as it becomes uncomfortable, seek the shade or cover up. Simple.

Grapefruit too is a no no when taking many medications.
Quite correct and those taking such medications (like statins) will know this of course.
CeeCee
UK

21-10-2017, 10:12 AM

You can spout your theories for as long as you like, but I will stick with conventional medicine. It is thanks to that that my children were not deprived of their mother when they were tots forty years ago, when I first developed cancer. It is also thanks to medication and surgery that I am still here, despite having a compromised immune system, two years after my most recent cancer.

Quack theories hold no sway with me, the medical profession have kept me alive, when if I had followed natural progression, I would long since have been ashes.

Long live the NHS.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2017, 11:10 AM

My recollection of steroid injections was they had no effect on me other than helped me get back to normal after a frozen shoulder. It tends I believe to be injested steroids that affect immunity.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top