Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 09:24 PM

Japanese Cotton Cheesecake - Yum!

Hi all, made this cake twice yesterday. It was beautifuuuuuuul. The first one came out with the top a little wrinkled but tasted delish all the same. The second one came out perfect (could be because my nose was against the glass door of the oven watching and watching to ensure didn’t overbake)

I couldn’t believe though just how easy it was. The only faffy bit was lining the cake tin. And… I can say in all honesty, it’s the best cheesecake I have ever made and all with just 3 ingredients!!

It is known as a Japanese Cotton Cheesecake.It's amazing, part souffle, part cheesecake and as light as a feather. I followed the recipe from Youtube where there are literally dozens of recipes for it. It seems this cheesecake is extremely popular. Especially the 3-ingredient one.

INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED:

9 ounces of white chocolate buttons or chocolate bars

6 eggs at room temperature (separate the whites from the yolks in two bowls.) Whisk the egg yolks ready to add to the mixture.

8 ounces of cream cheese at room temperature

TOOLS OF THE TRADE!

1 x 8 inch round cake tin
Roasting pan or baking pan that the cake tin will easily fit.
Parchment or greaseproof paper
Large piece of square Foil
Mixing Bowls
Electric Whisk
Wire Tray for Cooling the Cheesecake.

PREPARATION:

Preheat the oven to 350F / 180C / Gas 4 / Fan 160.

Line the bottom of your cake tin with parchment paper.
Then cut two strips of parchment paper, grease them and stick them on around the insides of your cake tin.
Cut out a large piece of foil, place the cake tin in the centre of the foil and fold up the foil all round the outsides of the tin to ensure no water gets into the cake tin.

METHOD:

Melt the white chocolate either in the microwave in 20 second bursts, or place in a medium size bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally until melted.

When melted, transfer to a larger bowl. Add the cream cheese and mix. Let it cool slightly.

Add the egg yolks to the chocolate mix and stir to combine.

Using a hand whisk on high control, Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add a small bit of the egg white to the chocolate mix and stir until just lightened.

Gently fold in the remaining egg white in two additions until the mixture is JUST combined.

Now pour the batter into the prepared cake tin. Place the cake tin in the centre of a baking dish or roasting pan. Fill the pan half -way up the outside of the cake tin with warm water

Bake in the oven until set - 40 - 45 minutes maximum.

IMPORTANT - Now you turn the oven OFF and without opening the door, leave the cake in the oven for exactly 15 minutes more.

Transfer the cheesecake to a wire rack but leave in the cake tin until completely cold.

Remove from the cake tin when completely cold, then place on a platter and put in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours or even better, overnight if you can resist it.

I dusted my cheesecakes lightly with icing sugar and they disappeared down the throats of HWMO and gorillas before daylight had disappeared, they really were that delicious. I felt quite proud.

Honestly, there are recipes for this cheesecake all over the web, but the 3-ingredient one from youtube was the best for me. I hope you try it, I think you will love it.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	cotton_soft_japanese_cheesecake_01.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	4843  
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 09:52 PM

Re: Japanese Cotton Cheesecake - Yum!

Forgot to mention, if you wish to make a smaller cheesecake, just use

4.1/2 ounces of white chocolate
4.1/2 ounces of cream cheese
3 eggs separated, yolks whisked, whites separated.

Exactly same method, same cake tin size.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 11:09 PM

Par Eque, that looks grand, but why the name Japanese cotton cheesecake?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Par Eque, that looks grand, but why the name Japanese cotton cheesecake?
Who cares what it is called, Judd, it looks delicious !!
Definitely on my 'to do' list.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 10:01 AM

Looks lovely I'll drool over your pictures because I'm attempting to cut out sugar at the moment.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

02-01-2018, 12:37 PM

Judd, I believe the name Japanese Cotton Cheesecake comes from the cheesecake being as light as cotton. It is a lighter, more delicate cheesecake than the normal cheesecake we know. The description says it is the perfect combination of sponge cake and cheesecake with both taste and texture of our well-known cheesecake, but not overly sweet and contains fewer calories which the Asian community much prefer.

Hope this helps.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

02-01-2018, 12:50 PM

Bit more info Judd. This Japanese version is also called a cotton or souffle cheesecake because of its souffle texture and custard flavour - it's light, airy, creamy, fluffy and perfect! The delectable recipe uses only eggs, cream cheese and white chocolate, and is easy to prepare and cook

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top