Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 11:22 AM

Constance Spry's Belvoir Ginger Cake

Hi everyone. Was just sitting here pondering… Isn’t it wonderful how we all have our personal favourite Cookery authors, whom, when following their recipes, never seem to fail.
I only have two Cookery Books in my possession. I inherited both from my Mum who bought these two Cookery books when she first arrived in England from Ireland in the 40’s.
I would really be lost without them and treasure them both. Not for these authors, metric grams, or american cups, just pure unadulterated good ol’ pounds and ounces and plain speak LOL.

The authors are of course Mrs Isabella Beeton and the book is “Mrs Beeton’s Book On Household Management”. But my favourite is Constance Spry 1886 - 1960.
Her fabulous book is called “The Constance Spry Cookery Book”.
I have never followed any other recipe except hers for her famous “Belvoir Ginger Cake”. It is so simple to follow, I also quickly learned the ingredients and her method of making this delicious Ginger cake. (when my gorillas actually ask me to make one, I know it is a winner!).

Here then is the recipe for her Belvoir Ginger Cake, as written by Constance herself.……
It really is the nicest, stickiest, darkest cake that gets better and better the longer you leave it in the tin.

Quote from the page.

This must be made 1 or 2 days before required.

BELVOIR GINGER CAKE.

INGREDIENTS
4 ounces butter
4 ounces brown sugar
4 ounces sultanas
10 ounces (or one breakfast cup) black treacle
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ pound plain flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2-3 tablespoons milk
A few split blanched almonds or 1 piece of stem ginger drained from syrup and sliced.

METHOD
Cream butter, add sugar, cream again thoroughly, then add fruit, treacle,ginger and the eggs one at a time with about half the flour.

Mix thoroughly. Add remaining flour with the soda warmed in the milk.
Turn at once into a papered, greased and floured 8 inch tin.
Bake in a slow oven for at least one hour or more. When two-thirds baked, scatter the top of the cake with preserved ginger or split almonds. Finish baking.

This cake is excellent for picnics, accompanied by a wedge of cheese, Cumberland style.

Unquote from the page.

Isn’t that lovely and simple. Just as recipes used to be. I have made this cake time and time again. Left it in the cake tin for 2 days and it has tasted absolutely gorgeous.

Enjoy if you try it.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	ginger.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	5861  
Attached Images

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 04:17 PM

Re: Constance Spry's Belvoir Ginger Cake

Stop it, stop it - first Eve's Pudding - now this - I am drooling on my keyboard !!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 04:52 PM

Re: Constance Spry's Belvoir Ginger Cake

My friend called her mare's foal Constance Spry. I wondered at the time who she was, now I know.
BTW I hate baking.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top