Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 10:37 AM

Cookery Books

Prompted by a post from Shropshiregirl - I did a stock take of the kitchen bookcase and was astonished by the results. There are 83 of them - had never counted them before.
Yes - before anyone asks - they are all well used.

The collection includes:-
Japanese, Indian, Chinese, Moroccan, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Italian, Greek, Australian (their Woman's Weekly series is excellent).

Because I cook for friends with various food problems:-
Gluten free, Dairy free, Allergy/Intolerance awareness, Healing foods, Vegetarian and Vegan.

The collection also includes books on Cake Decorating, Working with Chocolate, Human Nutrition, Vital Vitamins/Minerals etc., the ever handy 'Bero Book', and several obscure volumes from when I was at Chef school.

If they all caught fire and I had to rescue just one - it would be this one:-

Ballymaloe Cookery Course, by Darina Allen
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 02:04 PM

Re: Cookery Books

I to ST have loads of cookery books, the only thing is, I read them, but don't cook any of them, I make up my own ingredients instead.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 02:12 PM

I haven't got a single cookery book in the house. I occasionally look at on-line recipes and if I like the sound of them I save them on my laptop. I try not to do much cooking these days and all the recipes I use are in my head. Don't do much weighing and measuring either. I never was a very good housewife. Can't be doing with all the faffing around or all the prep and washing up afterwards.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 02:32 PM

I used to have a lot of dinner parties, so I have a kitchen cupboard full of cookery books. Many were presents or just books I would see on offer in bookstores.

I love cooking and have used all of the books, but eventually you make adjustments to your favorites, to suit you own taste. When cooking for myself I find that it is fun to go through your fridge, freezer and cupboards and just create something from what you find there...... so far I have made some really tasty meals from using that method!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 04:58 PM

I love finding old cookery books in charity shops, they are a social history

I have a few war time ones, some post war. One of my favourite to read is The cookery year, a readers digest publication.

As for everyday cooking I’m a hunt the fridge and make something kind of lass. I do have a few cookbooks that are my bibles, Delia I turn to for timings and recipes for new dishes, Hairy bikers for Indian , ken Hom for Chinese , but mostly if I’m looking inspiration then it’s online.

I think like so many of us, we have our favourite dishes and they have been adapted and evolved over the years they are nothing like the original
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 04:45 PM

Wouldn't be without my 'Mary Berry' cookbook!!!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top