Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 12:34 PM

Re: My favourite Argentinian Malbec has gone up in price from £6 to £7.50

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
When I was having treatment for cancer, I was told to avoid alcohol. It certainly doesn't help when they are putting poison into you body to destroy the cancer cells.... and you have said that you have previously had problems with drinking alcohol.
What does that have to do with anything? This is a thread about wine, not cancer or previous drink problems.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 12:41 PM

I like Argentine Malbec.
I buy Santa Julia when it's on offer.
At the moment I am in Spain where good wine is so cheap !
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
What does that have to do with anything?
Well I believe that eating and drinking the right things is more likely to make you feel better than having a room that suits your personal requirements!
The reason alcohol prices are rising is because it damages peoples health. The main reason Scotland is preventing the sale of cheap alcoholic drinks!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 12:48 PM

Prices haven't gone up as much for the middle-classes, but a previously £3.50 3 litre bottle of Frosty Jacks now costing £11 is definitely a dig at street drinkers. Think of all the good bottles of wine around the £11 mark.

People are just going to brew their own more, or go to Berwick or Carlisle.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 12:53 PM

Prices haven't gone up as much for the middle-classes, but a previously £3.50 3 litre bottle of Frosty Jacks now costing £11 is definitely a dig at street drinkers. Think of all the good bottles of wine around the £11 mark.
It is the street drinkers that are costing the NHS money.... but an alcoholic will drink anything when they need it.... and many alcoholics are also middle & upper class!l
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

16-05-2018, 12:55 PM

I agree - some middle-class people will think nothing of drinking a bottle of wine a day.

I don't drink every week but I do stay away from spirits.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 03:11 PM

I understand from a cousin in Scotland that the new minimum pricing is 50p per unit which would make an average bottle of wine around £6.

I like a glass of wine with dinner each evening but always refrain around chemo time, so no wine tonight!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 03:39 PM

I agree - some middle-class people will think nothing of drinking a bottle of wine a day.

I don't drink every week but I do stay away from spirits.

A wine I'm particularly fond of matey - GEWURZTRAMINER - a French white dry wine - from Alsace with a hint of Elderflower.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
A wine I'm particularly fond of matey - GEWURZTRAMINER - a French white dry wine - from Alsace with a hint of Elderflower.
I've just looked for that at the supermarket I use, sounds lovely UJ, £9 a bottle.

This wine bursts with exotic aromas of lychees, rose petals and notes of Turkish delight. This exceptional wine is produced by top winery Cave de Turckheim in the beautiful region of Alsace in eastern France. Excellent as an aperitif, it is also a great match for spicy Thai curries.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
The reason alcohol prices are rising is because it damages peoples health.
Dear oh dear. We are discussing red wine, full-bodied red wine, not the wide spectrum of alcoholic beverages.

Red wine is very healthy.

It is loaded with anti-oxidants/flavonoids which help prevent heart disease. It can improve cognitive function, reduce oxidative stress and even normalize blood sugar levels.

"When consumed in small amounts, red wine can be considered a superfood that provides powerful antioxidants that heal the body at a cellular level, like quercetin and resveratrol."

More here:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...r-bad#section3

"Grapes are rich in many antioxidants. These include resveratrol, catechin, epicatechin and proanthocyanidins (5).

These antioxidants, especially resveratrol and proanthocyanidins, are believed to be responsible for the health benefits of red wine.

Proanthocyanidins may reduce oxidative damage in the body. They may also help prevent heart disease and cancer (6, 7, 8)."

"Bottom Line:
The powerful plant compounds in red wine have been linked with many health benefits, including reduced inflammation, lower risk of heart disease and cancer, and extended lifespan."

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top