Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 08:07 PM

Fenders Top 20

Thought I'd join the party and post my top 20 singles.
They are in no particular order, more just the singles I listen to the most for varying reasons.

1st up - Rag Doll - The Four Seasons.

According to songwriter Bob Gaudio, the recording was inspired by a dirty-faced little girl, about 5 years old, dressed in ragged clothes. At stop lights in the neighborhood children would run into the street and clean windshields for spare change, but this little girl could only reach high enough to clean the driver's side mirror of his automobile. When Gaudio reached into his wallet, all he had were notes, none smaller than $20. He gave the girl a twenty-dollar bill (Gaudio has also said it was a $5 or a $10). Her astonishment stayed in Gaudio's mind as he approached the recording studio. "Rag Doll", with a few tweaks by Bob Crewe, was the result.

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 08:35 AM

Re: Fenders Top 20

Looking forward to what you have chosen Fender.

Sometimes you wish you had a time machine to go back and watch singers like Frankie Valli perform. So many great songs.

Not sure if you want contributions to your topic list so please say if you don't. Ta .

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 09:04 AM

I have always thought the Four Seasons were great. They had so many memorable songs.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 09:38 AM

I think it would be safe to say for many they were one of the sounds of the sixties...and what lad hasn't tried to hit that high note just once in their life.

fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 01:14 PM

Hi Solo,

No problem with any contributions..
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

02-06-2018, 01:22 PM

No.2 Fortunate Son, by Creedence Clearwater.

The song, released during the peak period of U.S. involvement in Vietnam, is not explicit in its criticism of that war in particular, rather, it "speaks more to the unfairness of class than war itself," according to its author, John Fogerty. "It's the old saying about rich men making war and poor men having to fight them. In 2015, while on the television show The Voice, he also said:

The thoughts behind this song - it was a lot of anger. So it was the Vietnam War going on... Now I was drafted and they're making me fight, and no one has actually defined why. So this was all boiling inside of me and I sat down on the edge of my bed and out came "It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no senator's son!" You know, it took about 20 minutes to write the song.

According to his 2015 memoir, Fogerty was thinking about David Eisenhower, the grandson of President Dwight D. Eisenhower, who married Julie Nixon, the daughter of President Richard Nixon in 1968, when he wrote "Fortunate Son.

'Fortunate Son' wasn't really inspired by any one event. Julie Nixon was dating David Eisenhower. You'd hear about the son of this senator or that congressman who was given a deferment from the military or a choice position in the military. They seemed privileged and whether they liked it or not, these people were symbolic in the sense that they weren't being touched by what their parents were doing. They weren't being affected like the rest of us.

solo
UK

02-06-2018, 03:25 PM

Thanks Fender, much appreciated. Another good song on the Nam conflict although Barry Mcguires Eve of Destruction is still my personal pick.

The Animals We've gotta get out of this place used to be my fav but having paid a small fortune to get the record off air after days of being played non stop in Aden, that one went off most of our song lists forever and ever.

CCR and John Fogarty like many groups parted ways and although there has been stuff from both you always wonder considering the talent what there music would have achieved had they stayed together. JF came across as a bitter man so maybe he feels the same.

fender
Chatterbox
SE England

02-06-2018, 07:07 PM

Good track there Solo - thanks.

No.3. Video Killed the Radio Star - The Buggles

This was live in 2004 at the Princes Trust.
I feel this is one of the best live renditions of a studio track ever. Debi Doss & Linda Allen (who sadly died in 2015) did the original back up vocals 25 years previous to this, and still sound great. Linda is the one in the green top and Debi to her right.
This track sounds superb on headphones, where you realise just how good it was.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Good track there Solo - thanks.

No.3. Video Killed the Radio Star - The Buggles

This was live in 2004 at the Princes Trust.
I feel this is one of the best live renditions of a studio track ever. Debi Doss & Linda Allen (who sadly died in 2015) did the original back up vocals 25 years previous to this, and still sound great. Linda is the one in the green top and Debi to her right.
This track sounds superb on headphones, where you realise just how good it was.

I have always loved that song, I have no idea why but when it's played, i can't help but sing along to it. Wow! 1980.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

02-06-2018, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have always loved that song, I have no idea why but when it's played, i can't help but sing along to it. Wow! 1980.
Odd isn't it. I'd generally say that it's not my kinda music, but always loved that track?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top