Join for free
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 08:03 AM

Olives shelf life?

I'm not so keen on olives, but now & again I put some in a salad

Presumably a jar of olives (in brine?) will have a fairly long shelf life even when it's been opened, but do you know the shelf life of loose olives you buy from a supermarket's deli counter?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 08:29 AM

Re: Olives shelf life?

Not sure - they never stay around very long in my house - I love them!

Could the assistant at the deli counter not offer any advice?

Found this for you:-

Tips

How long do loose olives (or deli olives) last? The precise answer depends to a large extent on storage conditions - keep olives them refrigerated and tightly covered. To maximize the shelf life of loose olives, refrigerate in covered glass or plastic container and keep olives submerged in liquid when storing.

How long do loose olives last in the refrigerator? Loose olives that have been continuously refrigerated will generally stay at best quality for about 1 to 2 months.

How can you tell if loose olives are bad or spoiled? The best way is to smell and look at the loose olives: if the olives develop an off odor, flavour or appearance, or if mold appears, they should be discarded.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 08:35 AM

Hi ZD it normally says on the jar how long the olives will keep and that can be 'within 3 weeks of opening' .
Olives purchased loose have been exposed to the air and are at their best eaten in a couple of days thought should keep ok for longer in the fridge.
My grandchildren love olives and have eaten them since they were babies (they eat anything) . So once opened they are quickly consumed the last olive being fought over.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 10:08 AM

I love olives and eat them all the time. A jar of olives in salt / brine water should last for months in the fridge. At least ours do here in Canada.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 10:12 AM

I always store deli olives in the fridge covered in oil

I've a jar of tinned olives that have been in the fridge for at least a year, still good to eat ( was a very large tin opened )

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top