Join for free
Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 07:02 AM

Re: Why do mammograms ...

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I would advise against Mammograms. All you are doing there is harming yourself. Firstly you are flattening breast tissue cells, increasing their surface area and then giving them a blast of radiation.

The problem then is that they are so unreliable so you're risking actually giving yourself cancer via repeated radiating mammograms whilst not getting a reliable result.

There are alternatives these days. Thermography for example. Of course, don't expect the Big Pharma people to endorse alternatives that eat into their establish profit streams.

It would be ironic wouldn't it if 30 years down the line it was revealed that most breast cancer came from women being irradiated by mammograms !

Radiation is very harmful to the body. It is imho stupid to irradiate ones body.
Thanks for cheering me up, Realist !!

I went because I had found a small lump - and it is the only investigative option available to me here.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 07:18 AM

The choice of whether to have one is our own choice and, if you ask people who have had one, most will say it is uncomfortable! If the mammogram show anything, they have doubts about, they will then try an ultrasound, which is completely pain free...apart from the cold gel they put on you skin!

Everybody should be checking themselves for lumps and, when I found one, I went to my doctor immediately. The local hospital did a needle biopsy and they discovered that it wasn't breast cancer, as we thought it was , it was small cell cancer( the kind that usually forms in your lungs & grows much faster). This rapid growth was the reason that it had not been found on my mammogram, 12 months earlier.

Having been through cancer & all the horrible treatments, I would suggest that we do whatever it takes to spot it early. Thankfully I did and that is why I am still here today!

Silver Tabby, you did the right thing because finding it is what matters & getting the note to tell you all is well is a great comfort.
If all isn't ok then any delay could have meant a full mastectomy, rather than a small lumpectomy!
Men can learn a lot of technical details, but they will never understand the emotional ones, so listening to a women is always the best option.....unless the man is a male oncologist!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 07:34 AM

I have two friends who had lumps removed that were detected by having a mammogram both are now fit and well. It's a no brainer to me....have the mammogram and tolerate a few minutes discomfort or risk full blown breast cancer?

Go have the mammogram.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 08:18 AM

Not for me

Ive refused my invites so far

Too many false positives for my liking

I did have a scare 15 years ago and saw a leading Surgeon who showed me how to check myself properly, after giving me the all clear by ultra sound and even he didn't agree with breast screening
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 08:23 AM

Don't let the scaremongers frighten You out of doing something You feel is right...There is Family history of breast cancer in My Family Mother,two Sisters,Aunts,so I was advised to have regular mammo's every 2/3yrs..I've lost count of how many I've had over the Years,it was worth the discomfort every time to give Me reassurance....I'm now a healthy 75 yr old so they didn't do Me any harm at all
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I would advise against Mammograms. All you are doing there is harming yourself. Firstly you are flattening breast tissue cells, increasing their surface area and then giving them a blast of radiation.

The problem then is that they are so unreliable so you're risking actually giving yourself cancer via repeated radiating mammograms whilst not getting a reliable result.

There are alternatives these days. Thermography for example. Of course, don't expect the Big Pharma people to endorse alternatives that eat into their establish profit streams.

It would be ironic wouldn't it if 30 years down the line it was revealed that most breast cancer came from women being irradiated by mammograms !

Radiation is very harmful to the body. It is imho stupid to irradiate ones body.
My sister would not be alive had it not been for a mammogram. She did not fall into the required age bracket but felt there was something not quite right and requested her GP to send her for a mammogram, he refused, said it wasn’t necessary. So she arranged to pay for one privately, she was diagnosed with early stage cancer. Had surgery and subsequent treatment and ten years on, she is fit an healthy.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
My sister would not be alive had it not been for a mammogram. She did not fall into the required age bracket but felt there was something not quite right and requested her GP to send her for a mammogram, he refused, said it wasn’t necessary. So she arranged to pay for one privately, she was diagnosed with early stage cancer. Had surgery and subsequent treatment and ten years on, she is fit an healthy.
That is good to hear CeeCee! Well done your sister for not taking "NO" as an answer from her doctor
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 10:04 AM

Hi

Many do not understand the physiologic impact on women about breasts.

It is part of their physic an essential part of being a woman., a childbearer, bring new life into the world.

It is surely not beyond the wit of science to develop something better than a Mammogram.

In the words of my nurse.

If you lot had to have to have your balls crushed all the time, the problem would have been solved.

She has a point.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 10:34 AM

Having had bowel cancer twice, I can tell you that there are far more worse procedures one has to endure than mammograms. Be thankful there are such examinations, a few minutes discomfort is nothing compared to the alternatives.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

17-06-2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Many do not understand the physiologic impact on women about breasts.

It is part of their physic an essential part of being a woman., a childbearer, bring new life into the world.

It is surely not beyond the wit of science to develop something better than a Mammogram.

In the words of my nurse.

If you lot had to have to have your balls crushed all the time, the problem would have been solved.

She has a point.
It isn't that bad Swimmy, it is a few seconds discomfort that allows them to check if there is anything unusual, and as most centres are manned by women, the people doing the job do understand a woman's relationship to their breasts.....that is why they encourage these tests, to make sure the woman doesn't have to have them removed.

I actually think men are more interested in women having them, than women are!

Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top