Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 12:29 PM

Steam mops.

First of all - apologies if this subject has been posted about before. if so I must have missed it...

I'm wondering just how good steam mops are at cleaning difficult stuff. Has anybody got one? Would it clean the grout in my shower that's turned black do you think?

I'd really like to know what any steam mop owners think of them and what they do with them apart from cleaning the floor.
Thanks.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 12:39 PM

Re: Steam mops.

I've never found these steam thingys to work for me - tried 2 - gave up ..
Maybe it depends what brand you buy ........
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 02:08 PM

Carol, you can buy small hand held nozzle directed steamers, I think they're better for tiles. never used one but since it's just the grout you're doing might be more suitable - might be on your hands and knees though! Just noticed you meant shower area so no kneeling involved..
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 02:24 PM

Cor blarst I when my cleaning lady gets a going with a mop it don't half steam.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 02:46 PM

Would it clean the grout in my shower that's turned black do you think?
Carole if you mean the grout between the tiles I use Jif and a toothbrush or you can buy a special grout cleaner.
I am not sure if a steam cleaner would do the job but I doubt it
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Carole if you mean the grout between the tiles I use Jif and a toothbrush or you can buy a special grout cleaner.
I am not sure if a steam cleaner would do the job but I doubt it
I've tried it Meg, didn't work - I use jif and toothbrush too
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I've tried it Meg, didn't work - I use jif and toothbrush too
I don't like to mention it because it can damage some surfaces but I mix a bit of thick bleach in with the Jif then apply it to the grout with the toothbrush
The grout comes up gleaming white.It is best to put a dust sheet underneath the tiles before doing this in case the mixture drips.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 10:24 PM

I didn't think it was safe to mix bleach with other chemicals Meg? I thought it said on the bottle somewhere? I can cause some sort of fumes I believe, but I could be wrong.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

14-09-2014, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I didn't think it was safe to mix bleach with other chemicals Meg? I thought it said on the bottle somewhere? I can cause some sort of fumes I believe, but I could be wrong.
Mups supposedly not but I mix it with Jif with no problems. I am not suggesting others do it if they don't feel comfortable about it and as I said in my earlier post
I don't like to mention it because it can damage some surfaces
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 11:17 PM

If you mix bleach with other chemicals to clean a toilet bowl the other surface affected could be one that would become extremely uncomfortable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top