Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 06:27 PM

Re: The Big Switch On!

I've got gas central heating and wood burning stoves in every room. So far this year the central heating has come on a couple of times in the middle of the night but I've been lighting the living room stove around five in the evening for the past two weeks. From next month onwards when the temperature drops to minus something or other during the day the central heating will come on more often and I'll be lighting both the living room and the kitchen stoves just after lunch.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I rarely have the heating on before November although I do sometimes light the fire earlier in the year. My economy policy is to not allow myself to get used to it being warm...I'm hoping to have a multifuel stove soon and with luck that will mean the heating is on much less than previously.
I think that's the key because as soon as we get used to it we have to have it on, hold out as long as we can until we absolutely have to use it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2014, 05:23 AM

I had packed my little heater away a couple of weeks ago but then we got this east coast low forming off the coast and out it came again. The temperature got down to 12°C and I was bloody freezing, it snowed in the Blue Mountains that day.

Exactly 12 months ago the Blue Mountains were ablaze!
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2014, 07:52 AM

We started the wood-stove up a couple of weeks ago, and have it burning every day now. It heats the whole house. Mostly!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 03:21 PM

Still holding out although it was chilly in the bathroom this morning, made a game out of how quick we could get showered and dried and that seemed to work to keep Grace happy.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 03:48 PM

Im finding this Bungalow colder than the big end terraced house we left earlier this year .im sure the bricks are less efficient,
We have got all the radiators working now ,it was a case of Balancing them ,the men folk sorted that out so there was no need for a centralHeating engineer .its so rewarding when money can be saved by DIY
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 04:34 PM

I just had a Worchhhhhhessstterrrrrrrrrrr boiler fitted with thermostat control (or whatever it is called) and I can set it at a certain temp which it then maintains (whole house). AWESOME!
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 05:27 PM

Haven"t put ours on yet.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Still holding out although it was chilly in the bathroom this morning, made a game out of how quick we could get showered and dried and that seemed to work to keep Grace happy.
*gulp!*. I'm shivering just thinking about it! I hate showering in a cold bathroom. and mine gets veeeeeeery cold.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I just had a Worchhhhhhessstterrrrrrrrrrr boiler fitted with thermostat control (or whatever it is called) and I can set it at a certain temp which it then maintains (whole house). AWESOME!
I have one of the same, luckily it's in the spare bedroom as all the pipes are on show and they look a mess.

I decided to turn on the heating for the first time this year as tonight is quite chilly however, all the rads were just lukewarm at the bottom, I would think they all need bleeding, hopefully that will solve the problem tomorrow

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top