Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2012, 02:42 AM

Re: Guttering

Thanks for replies. I'll get quotes from three accredited builders, rather than look for a handyman. I know it will cost more, but I'll feel that a better job will be done.

Materials are cheap as I've looked up the cost of them but, as has been said, it's the hourly rate charged that bumps the cost up. I just wondered if anybody had had this done for an idea of cost.

Many thanks.
jon
England
jon is male  jon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2012, 08:03 PM

As already been said the buying of it wouldnt be dear , its the fitting it that might cost you , but im sure there'd be a willing chap / woman that would fit it for you , its not a big job without looking at it but going by what your saying it should only take 1 to 2 hrs max

please dont get caught though , have you tried age concern ! they might be able to do it for you , or how about a handyman that could be recommend to you ..

what a lot of builders might say is they have to do it off scaffolding because of health & safety issues this will rocket the price , ive taken down & replaced many miles of guttering in my time mostly off a ladder .
Dalesman2
lancashire
Dalesman2 is male  Dalesman2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2012, 02:52 PM

Having a passion for doing up old houses I have come to rely on "Trusted tradespeople sites" on the internet for small jobs like this..

For 5 mins filling the questionaire you will get about half a dozen responses and all people on these sites have references.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2012, 10:02 PM

Thanks again for helpful replies, and apologies for the delay. Am still saving up but hope to have it done before winter sets in.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

07-11-2012, 01:52 AM

Update. Guttering is now done, but unfortunately, some of the roof tiles to one side of the back of my house have perished and are crumbling.

The guy that did my guttering wasn't scamming me, just informing me. He's a relative of my sister-in-law and he's as straight as a dye, but he did say I'd need attention to my roof at some point. Terrific!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2012, 09:07 AM

Like they say Mollie,
Keep a roof ore you heed and you'll ail nowt.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2012, 11:34 AM

Glad you found someone reliable Mollie... it will be worth having the tiles done soon.
I remember my dad being scammed a couple of times by a dodgy builder - until hubby intervened.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

08-11-2012, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Like they say Mollie,
Keep a roof ore you heed and you'll ail nowt.
Ain't that the truth. Am fed up of having to keep saving up. Am only a poor owd pensioner with no savings, so I'll have't just keep doing me penny-pinching!

Jan, I am so sorry your dad was scammed. I hate things like that, and that Gloria Hunniford programme - forget what it's called - bring those nasty folk to justice.
SOUL DJ
Hants. UK
SOUL DJ is female  SOUL DJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2013, 05:23 PM

Hi! Agree, 3 -4 quotes and try checkatrade or such like.

Good Luck!
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2013, 11:21 PM

get refrances befoe you hire any one

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top