Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 05:46 PM

do you feel safe if out at night

My neighbours son aged 23 went out with his friends on Friday night into town , when he left the pub/club at 11.45 pm he was followed by three people who beat him up and stole his phone . He was badly beaten , he wasn't the aggressor , he stood no chance . The police have arrested two people but we don't know anything else yet .

We live in a small town , yet have many pubs and clubs open most of the night , Weymouth is a big social scene with lots of live music too . I wouldn't want to walk alone through the town at night , yet not so any years ago I did .

My daughter and hubby went for a walk last night while staying with me , they walked along the harbour , she said the town was packed , lots of drunks and shouting and bad language , they stayed together and got back to the car but we're quite shocked .
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 05:49 PM

Re: do you feel safe if out at night

I wouldn't dream of walking the streets late at night but I'm sometimes out in my car but not very often.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 05:52 PM

In my little village the only minor worry I'd have during a night stroll would be startling a big buck kangaroo who might react and carve me up.

By the same token, in the nearest city, my son was set upon one might by three indigenous youth who beat the crap out of him and pinched his expensive phone and $500 from his wallet.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 05:56 PM

Yes very safe but I won't walk through cattle at night.

I go for a late walk every night whatever the weather and rarely see a soul, I tend to only put my torch on if there is a car about so I can be seen otherwise I blend into the shadows.

I also have Chloe, her piercing bark would wake the dead if anyone approached me.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 05:56 PM

If I fancied a drink Susan I would only go locally and not into the city centre, if I had an appointment with an old friend in the city at night I would always use a taxi there and back, Things are not like they used to be here, there was a time when you could walk through the town at any hour of the night and you would be as safe as a house.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 06:02 PM

It's a shame that scumbags roam the streets picking on the innocent.

I hope your neighbour copes with the emotional trauma, wounds heal faster than emotions.

I often walk alone at night but I'm wary of my surroundings and quite alert to telltale signs, it's often a question of reading a situation before it happens( it's learnt from a young age in city life)
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 06:09 PM

Growing up in a rough neighbourhood leaves you ingrained with a permanent sense of caution, whatever environment you find yourself in.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 06:11 PM

I was recently attacked in broad daylight by someone who was possibly on drugs,they came off second best, im always wary these days as im more vulnerable due to needing a stick. And i will avoid the need to be out after dark if i can, but not much you can do against a gang out to mug you.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 06:15 PM

I very rarely go out at night these days but I do feel quite safe where I live.

I've come back from a 4 night stay in Bournemouth today and on Wednesday when I arrived I went for a walk after dinner (about 8pm) along the prom to the pier and walked through the town to go back to the hotel. I felt quite safe until I had to walk through some streets that were obviously bedsit land with some funny looking characters lurking about (one was even urinating in a ginnelway ) ... and I was approached by a girl who asked me for £1.50 as she was homeless and she didn't have enough for her room that night. I refused and walked on.

It's such a shame as the hotel was lovely but let down by the surrounding area.

Susan ... I visited Weymouth on Saturday (after visiting Portland Bill and Chesil Beach ) ... sat on the seafront to eat my lunch in one of the "shelters" .. it was a bit scary because just round the corner on the other bench there was a man who was obviously homeless lying on the seat with a sleeping bag and when he was packing up to go he was swearing and cursing obviously arguing with some imaginary person and acting out as if he was fighting with them !!!!

Otherwise I enjoyed my time there 😊
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 06:24 PM

No Susan - even if I could, I wouldn't go out of an evening
Such a shame that things have changed so much, used to love evening strolls

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top