Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 03:01 PM

Re: Water Bills

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I doubt if a water meter would save me anything. Our garden is very quick draining and although I have water butts to collect rainwater, I still use a lot of water to keep the fruit & vegetables going.

Unlike the west of Scotland, this is quite a dry area.
A lot of the rural properties here have their own wells and septic tanks. No rates, but some maintenance costs- emptying tank, new filters, water purity tests etc...
When I had a water meter fitted I had the option that I could have it disconnected in the first 13 months if I wanted.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 04:22 PM

I don't see anyone rushing to have a meter fitted. Some new estates may have them installed at build time, but householders have to pay to have one fitted retrospectively. If they were fitted free AND gave smaller bills, that would be a different story.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by sue_arnold ->
When I had a water meter fitted I had the option that I could have it disconnected in the first 13 months if I wanted.
We did too sue.

Anglian Water were very helpful with everything regarding Water Meters and the case for a Water Meter was obvious for us yet our next door neighbours (just the two of them too) are still on the standard, non-metered rate which I've read on AW site is £48 per month, which is 54% more than we pay now but will be 33% more than we will be paying from March onwards, so still a saving of £144 per annum.

By the way, we will be paying £432 per annum as of March so all of you out there paying those ridiculously small annual amounts beware - it may not last much longer as all the Water Providers are in touch with each other all the time.

Good Luck to you in the meantime though. stevmk2
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 04:54 PM

Steve, is that water only or water + sewage?

We pay £166 pa. for non-metered water and £193 pa for sewage , but if we lived in a much posher house, we might pay as much as your neighbours.
billclay
west Yorkshire
billclay is male  billclay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 07:53 PM

Last year we had a water meter fitted, it has reduced our bills from £40 a month to £19 a month, Yorkshire water fitted it free, i installed water butts for the garden, all working out very well.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 09:29 PM

I had a bad experience with a water meter in a property we had in Dorset. There was a leak between the meter which was by the gate and the house . This was in 1978 and the bill came to over £1000 which we had to pay. There was no indication of a leak, the first we knew about it was when the bill came in .
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 09:32 PM

Ooh Meg that was a lot of money then, well it still is really. I try to keep an eye on the meter so hopefully won't be caught out.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2014, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Steve, is that water only or water + sewage?
We pay £166 pa. for non-metered water and £193 pa for sewage , but if we lived in a much posher house, we might pay as much as your neighbours.
For us it's going to be £432 per annum from March with our meter and that's both water and sewage Grumble but it was £312!

I've emailed them about the increase because I think it's too much now but I doubt that they'll reduce it, even though we only had about £60 debit which could be cleared @ £5 per month more, not the £10 they've foisted on us!

For our neighbours, (without actually asking them), Anglian Water's site says £576 for average usage for non-metered and again that's both water & sewage.

They do water the garden far more than we do, with a hose, so they could be paying more than that.

They're good friends as well as our neighbours and we've tried to tell them that there's no need to water the garden as frequently as they do and suggested a meter but they seem to think that a metered supply is more expensive when in fact it worked out fine for us!

They'll still be paying £144 per annum more than us in the year from March onwards but they still won't entertain the idea of a meter! stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2014, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by sue_arnold ->
Ditto to all the above.

Any single person or a couple should get a water meter.
May work well for some but a blanket statement like that could bankrupt some of us.

We have washing machine on twice or three times a day, 3 or 4 showers a day, bathing the dogs, washing up 3 times a day. No I think we would be paying more if we had one fitted.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2014, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
May work well for some but a blanket statement like that could bankrupt some of us.

We have washing machine on twice or three times a day, 3 or 4 showers a day, bathing the dogs, washing up 3 times a day. No I think we would be paying more if we had one fitted.
Sorry was talking about normal people

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top