Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
billclay
west Yorkshire
billclay is male  billclay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 07:26 PM

Automatic transmission.

I must soon find another car, my son suggested an automatic, as the old legs are not as flexible as the used to be,he thought i may find it more comfortable, do you drive an automatic or have experience of them.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 07:32 PM

Re: Automatic transmission.

when I went to America my friend let me drive his automatic, I thought it was awful! it was slow to build up speed and I felt I had no control over it plus the fact I like changing gears
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 07:41 PM

I have driven automatics for 40 years and wouldn't have anything else. My first was a Daf which ran on rubber bands then Volvos.

Many modern automatics are interchangeable between manual and auto . My current little Ford has this option as do my son and DILs two Audis .
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 07:52 PM

I don't drive but my OH has just bought his first automatic, a Jaguar, and he loves it. He always said he'd not drive one but I think this model only came as automatic and he's pleasantly surprised how easy it is to drive.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bird ->
I don't drive but my OH has just bought his first automatic, a Jaguar, and he loves it. He always said he'd not drive one but I think this model only came as automatic and he's pleasantly surprised how easy it is to drive.
Bird I know many who said they would never drive an Automatic including my Son and Brother, they are both completely converted.

My Brother had a knee replacement . Driving a manual was very painful and he found the automatic made things much better for him
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 08:04 PM

I have a manual car and an automatic . I don't mind which I drive they are both enjoyable . However if restricted mobility is a problem an automatic is the answer, the modern DSG gearbox (Actually classed as semi-automatic) is fine for small Golf size cars but for anything larger I would prefer the traditional auto box.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 08:50 PM

I passed my test in an automatic because of bad co-ordination, it's so easy, just point & go! I can recommend a Toyota Yaris best little car I've had. Just goes on and on with very little attention. The newer ones aren't quite as good apparently, but I wouldn't swap mine for anything!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 09:02 PM

Only driven them in the States where they seem to be the default. I can only assume that Americans can't manage to deal with three pedals. Don't like them - I want to be in control of the car.
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 06:23 PM

I've driven an automatic for over 20 years and wouldn't want to change back to manual. I don't feel as though I have any less control than I had before, and I don't have the bother of continually changing up and down the gears.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 06:27 PM

Yes we have an automatic too - much easier on the joints

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top