Join for free
Page 386 of 1676 « First < 286 336 376 384 385 386 387 388 396 436 486 886 1386 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 07:33 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Yer just got me a bit nostalgic then Gummy, that small chalk board, with your thoughts on it, how easy it was, to wipe the slate clean.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Yer just got me a bit nostalgic then Gummy, that small chalk board, with your thoughts on it, how easy it was, to wipe the slate clean.
Wipe, Slate.................a lightbulb moment
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 12:20 PM

The kids would love the slate and chalk Gummy, my little fella is four and the first thing he asks me when he comes over is, Granda, wheres me slate and chalk? I had to make the slate for him and used matt finish black paint, the chalk I got from Phyllis’s dress making basket. He sits there with the slate on the table and draws all sort of things, his best efforts are of Mickey Mouse, he’s Mickeys best fan, and the fact that if he doesn’t like it and can rub it out amuses him.
He’s the same with the boxes that toys come in, gets a great kick out of playing ‘house’ and getting inside the box if it’s big enough.
I’m sure if they went through our times they would be just the same as we were. God bless ‘em all.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 03:48 PM

Sometimes all one has in ones old age is ones sweet memories.
As the years are ripped away like the pages of a calendar and the weight of many birthdays pile up on ones shoulders the body weakens, sweet memories will rejuvenate you, if but for a short while.

And here’s a little advice for randy oldies, this info was passed down by my great uncle Davy, a great woman chaser till the end.
If you happen to be going out on a first date with a potential partner, never use black hair dye it’s too obvious, try a mousey brown shade.
Never wear an opened neck shirt, the veins in your neck will entwine with the wrinkles and show up like rhubarb stalks.
When you’ve squashed the last squeeze from the Fixodent tube and applied it to your dentures for security, and if your going out to dinner with a new partner always carry a spare tube, heaven forbid your upper pallet should subside or even collapse in the middle of your sirloin steak.
Never talk about recent operations, pains and aches, or death,
Always straighten up and leave your walking stick at home.
Make sure you have your bus pass ready and don’t miss the last bus home.
Good hunting and enjoy yourselves.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 10:02 PM

My dear uncle Arthur is now at 98 the last of hs generation after my mother's sister died last week aged 96.

It's a heavy responsibility being top of the family heap, the Patriarch

I have produced 10 descendants ,sadly my surname will not survive my eventual passing. After 9 generations of RJ's from 1702, there will be no more.......
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

12-12-2017, 10:22 PM

That is sad news RJ, my condolences to you and your family.

Unfortunately our surname will live on for many years to come, several ancestors have lived outside the law over the centuries, we had a pirate and a forger hanged in the late 1700’s, another half a dozen or so transported for smuggling brandy from France, and in the middle 1800’s one drunken sot was jailed for three years after he stole a blind mans fiddle and pawned it for drink money.
Then you have the likes of me living the life of a saint trying to atone for their sins.
it’s just not fair.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

12-12-2017, 10:30 PM

My friend Robbie worked for over 30 years in Dublin Shelbourne Hotel, he had many stories to tell, this is one of my favourites.
A few days before christmas 1977 a convention of world chess players was held in the hotel, they all stepped off the same bus and were told to wait in the foyer until their rooms were sorted, so they all gathered in little groups and talked about chess.
An old lady resident entered the hotel and went over to Robbie who was the porter.
“Whats going on here Robert?” she asked.
“Nothing much Mrs Simmons, chestnuts boasting in an open foyer”
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 08:24 AM

sorry I haven't been around for the last 12 hrs but I have had an horrendous experience - I poured a glass of ice cold beer over my laptop kepboard [accidentaily you understand - but the wife dig snigger] 'er missus I said in my best frankie howard voice - don't you snigger over me!!

I cleaned it immediately but not the hidden wiring inside and lost the use of some keys for ever - anyway to cut a 'orrible story short I first discovered the onboard electronic kepyboard which is a bit slow using the mouse and then finally the lovely logitech free standing keyboard that connects to the pc by magic and I can type again -properly - yes I know I can't spell too well!

and what a relief to be able to come and mock my friends again and keep in touch by email with my last two close friends on earth [ yes I know you are close but you won't give me your addresses!]

anyway drama over for a while I will have to replace the laptop eventually and maybe father xmas will bring me one but for now - hi di ho!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 08:53 AM

That must have been traumatic Gummy, spilling your Beer, I hope you "Prepped" for such a catastrophe.
Robert Jnr.
UK

13-12-2017, 09:05 AM

A yarn for my buddy's entertainment

Trevor is a good neighbour to Frances , next door but one. Though they are both in their late seventies they are still pretty fit and enjoy each others company in a purely platonic way.
Bridge, Whist, Line Dancing & swimming are just few of the activities they take part in.

Sadly , just lately cracks have appeared in this seemingly idyllic arrangement . Trevor has had a hot tub installed in his large conservatory and has taken to sitting in the tub for hours on end completely naked, despite his calls for Frances to join him she has found the dynamics of their relationship changed. It wasn’t in her nature to take part in anything so , well frankly, improper.

Worse, Frances had developed severe hypochondria, not a terminal condition but nevertheless disabling. Trevor was now spending lots of time taking Frances to the doctor, the nurse & the chemist, even on one or two occasions the A & E department.
“For goodness sake Frances ,you must rid yourself of all these worries” Trevor advised, nodding sagely . Encouraged by her smile he went on.
“You are more likely to get knocked down by a number 9 bus”.

Too late to engage brain, the damage had been done. They lived on a number 9 bus route.

It was two days ago when he rang to say that he was so frustrated by the situation, but could not think of how to help her.
“Best get it over with Trevor” I said.

“Push her in front of the next number 9 bus, she’ll be ever so grateful & won’t suffer”

“Thanks Robert” he said & put the phone down.

He knew I was just kidding, didn’t he?

Page 386 of 1676 « First < 286 336 376 384 385 386 387 388 396 436 486 886 1386 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top