Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 11:12 AM

Re: This Guy Brought Me Here

I'm so glad you found each other and I'm sure he will be happy now for the rest of his years.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 12:51 PM

You can see in the 2nd photograph how much happier he is. Well done. 😀
Please can I ask are there a lot more difficulties owning a dog who has a problem like this as I have been looking at adopting a rescue dog and quite a few have injuries like this. It doesn't put me off but some have said to me that adopting an older dog brings a lot more problems and tried to discourage me. I thought an older dog would be better as I'm just 62 and worry what would happen to " my" adopted friend if something happened to me. 😞
This is besides the strictness of the adoption kennels I have looked at who want to pick a dog for you.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 01:13 PM

I can only speak from personal experience about rehoming an older dog. The dog I initially wanted to rehome had been hit by a car and was a bit lame and the rescue centre felt she wasn't suitable for me as my garden is on three levels and they thought she might have problems if she developed arthritis.

So I ended up with this little Romanian rescue mongrel. I have had absolutely no problems with her at all. In fact she is better behaved than any of my previous pedigree dogs, and far healthier.

The Lab (3) my son rehomed was really a "nut case" simply because he'd had no training whatsoever, was a terrible thief and they were banned from the local dog training club after 2-3 visits. He ran riot. After much hard work and persistence he is now a lovely dog, very affectionate, but still a thief given the opportunity. That though, is entirely due to his abondment so much when he was growing up.

One just has to use discrimination when choosing a dog, I am in my 70's, hence my choosing an older dog who does not need too much exercise, and is happy to spend hours just out in the garden or in the house.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 03:27 PM

My boys were all adopted at about the age of 1 year.. Thats when they are no longer cute... I got a starved Border collie a scared Beagle and a beaten JRT cross and they were all magnificent. Dont be put off.

There are still rescues out there who will help and Ive heard the cinnamon trust can help if you are worried about what would happen to your pet if you were not around.

Alternatively you could foster, my neighbour does it she cant have a dog full time as her OH isnt always well so she forsters she helps get the dogs ready for their forever homes and she is involved in finding that home for them.. She finds it very rewarding.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 06:29 AM

Each one of you is so encouraging and kind! I see that I have found several kindred spirits when it comes to dogs. I have always accepted my strays (usually abandoned from some side of the road), in the same way they have accepted me. Besides, I like my men with a scar here and there. As Julie said, it does give him character. He is handsome, isn't he!

CeeCee, he does seem be a lab mix which would account for phenomenally easy-going demeanor.

Thank you for the Hero hugs. I'll give him a dog treat from you too!

Oh, and tomtwodogs...you seem to know me all to well...

More picture updates tomorrow! I can tell that Hero and I am going to like this forum...
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
You can see in the 2nd photograph how much happier he is. Well done. 😀
Please can I ask are there a lot more difficulties owning a dog who has a problem like this as I have been looking at adopting a rescue dog and quite a few have injuries like this. It doesn't put me off but some have said to me that adopting an older dog brings a lot more problems and tried to discourage me. I thought an older dog would be better as I'm just 62 and worry what would happen to " my" adopted friend if something happened to me. 😞
This is besides the strictness of the adoption kennels I have looked at who want to pick a dog for you.
Monday's Child, I am sorry for the overdue reply. How wondeful that you are consdering an adoption! While there was a bit of initial expense, I have found that the strays I have adotped have been a joy and very little trouble. I think it is because they have already proven their resilence. There are so many positive reasons to adopt older dogs. They tend to be calmer and more contented. Older rescues have typically moved past the rambunctious and chewing stages, so their transition into family life is typically easier. Most are house-trained, and if you adopt from a foster, the dog has usually been trained to walk on a leash or other follow other simple commands. As older people, I think we are much more tuned into mature dogs because we have been through a few aches, pains, and injuries ourselves. I tend to think that the best adotpions are those in which the age of the dog is relatively close to the age of the owner.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

03-08-2017, 06:00 PM

Update: the young man's eye was still bleeding and so I thought it best to run him to the vet for an exam. An overly-enthusiastic assistant mistakenly and prematurely removed his eye sutures. The vet, quite exasperated, had to come out and report that bad news...and that he would now need staples to ensure the lid would permanently close. Ouch! But this fine fellow took it like a trooper and wagged his tail through the quick procedure. Four more days in the bonnet, though , which he uses like a snowplow to push his way through the house....and me.....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Update: the young man's eye was still bleeding and so I thought it best to run him to the vet for an exam. An overly-enthusiastic assistant mistakenly and prematurely removed his eye sutures. The vet, quite exasperated, had to come out and report that bad news...and that he would now need staples to ensure the lid would permanently close. Ouch! But this fine fellow took it like a trooper and wagged his tail through the quick procedure. Four more days in the bonnet, though , which he uses like a snowplow to push his way through the house....and me.....
I think he sounds like an exceptional dog, considering what he has been through. Now you have told us about him I suspect there are many people, on here, wishing him a very happy future..
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 06:51 PM

Surfermom, what you call the "bonnet" in our house we call it "the cone of shame".

I am sorry to hear of the ongoing eye problems, dogs are so stoic aren't they? My old Lab had a very bad tooth abcess which I did not realise until her face swelled. She must have been in so much pain and never gave any indication at all.

I do hope the eye heals quickly.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 07:32 PM

Bobby was in a similar condtion when we met him at the dogs trust,my son spent hours just sitting in a corner there with him before we were allowed to bring him home.Now 15 moths later he is in very good condition, very affectionate with us.our vet reamrked today how much he loves and trusts us now
Best of luck with this young man,in a few months he will be in a lovely condition and lapping up plenty of TLC

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top