Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 08:48 PM

Re: This Guy Brought Me Here

What a cute photo, Cass! It reminds me of this:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...c26cddf9b9.jpg

An update on Ranger will be coming soon....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2017, 04:05 AM

It's high time there is an update on Ranger. The organization that pulled him from the kill shelter and take him to the emergency vet before passing the baton to me is having a big fundraiser this weekend. When the woman who runs the program came by the house to check on him (protocol), she asked me whether or not I would donate a painting while Ranger - all 75 pounds (5.3 stone) - jumped all over her...licking, tail wagging. Cringing and terribly insecure about my work, I agreed since it is for a good cause. He wiggled his way about her as she took off with a painting of a wave I did a few years ago. His happy, happy, joy, joy inspired her to press on in her tireless work to save dogs and help place them into loving homes.

But I digress. Ranger is feeling FINE. He hurls himself about in pure happiness, particularly in my direction, and is a wild heathen. He has gained ten pounds and is making himself quite at home. Training to make him a bit more civilized is just around the corner, but he is already fast friends with my other dogs. Like some men , he has a few flaws that his lovability make me overlook, primarily his doggie smell and his snoooorrrring. Heaven help me, it's like having a big brown toddler in the house again.

The damage report:
The corner of one Persian rug
One pair of athletic shoes
One pair of wedge sandals (slow learner)
One leash
Several pencils

Yes, he is snoring in the first photo...

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5719.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	3859   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5727.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	3860  
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2017, 06:50 AM

It is hard to believe that the dog in these recent photos is the same, undernourished, sad dog that appeared in the first photo that you posted.
Why do I get the impression that he may have captured your heart sufficiently, to be sure he has found a permanent home?
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2017, 07:17 AM

Wow he is looking great...

Its amazing how these dogs bounce back. We can learn a lot from dogs and their approach to life.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2017, 10:10 AM

It's lovely to see how well this beautiful boy is doing. I'm sure you will never be able to part with him.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

28-11-2017, 04:06 PM

Well now, it is time for an update.

My children finally settled on the name Ranger, and that he is. Five or six times he has gotten out and run full tilt for the hinterlands, sending me arm-flailing, running about, and calling through the neighborhood to bring him home. I am nothing, if not a source of entertainment for my neighbors. It's remarkable how much this boy jumps, leaps and runs considering that his front right paw is essentially separated from his upper arm, but I digress.

So far the damage count is about a dozen shoes (young adult children are harder to train than dogs), pens, a bar of soap, batteries, pens, the corner of a dining room chair, and a few Christmas ornaments. That's about par for the course for a dog his age .

Ranger was easy to house train and loves car rides, demanding the front passenger seat. When I return from errands, he screams joy of my return in high, whistle pitched notes, and when he awakes, he grumbles and stretches happily in full baritone, often resting for some time on his knees with his legs stretched out behind him. I do not understand how this could possibly be comfortable, but such are the limber and pain-free days of puppyhood. He has trouble catching treats because of the depth perception issues stemming from having just that one eye, so he get's hand fed. Such a baby, he is.

The current problem is that his way of awakening me, which is most effective, is by either leaping on top of me with his full body weight (now about eighty pounds) or sitting on my head.

Here he is napping with his best friend, Pearl, showing that he is every bit as vicious as Tpin's dog, Mo :

photo hosting site free
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2017, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the update. Ranger certainly is fortunate to have found such a loving home. I am so glad that he is doing well.

The penalties of housing a Labrador is their ebullient behaviour. I have my son's Lab once or twice a week, overnight, when he and his wife are working. I have to make sure the door is closed or I too have this enormous weight land on me first thing in the morning, squirming and wriggling all over me. All counter tops have to be kept clear of any food. I learned the hard way when Blake devoured four lasagnes which I had prepared for the freezer! He too is a rehomed dog and transformed since arriving from the Dogs Home three years ago, however, he is still scared of other dogs (except mine) and is even nervous of the fish in the pond. His reaction is to run away, but a more loyal loving four legged friend they could not have.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2017, 06:52 PM

I often wonder how he is settling, when I read your posts, so it is lovely to see him snuggling up to Pearl.
It makes my day when I see an animal, who has been treated cruelly, safely settled in a home where they are happy and cared for, so thanks for the update.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 11:11 AM

Ranger is looking good, he really is gorgeous, you've certainly done a wonderful job with him. As for having a large heavy dog jump on you whilst in bed, it really does wake you up with a few choice words. I found it bad enough in the early hours of this morning when my little 6.5 kg Shi Tzu decided to jump on me and do her utmost to get me out of bed, whinging, rumbling and blowing bubbles in my face.........why? Because it had started raining quite heavily, she didn't like the noise and I think she expected me to get up and stop it !

I imagine Ranger thinks he is in seventh heaven these days, after his previous horrible life he must be one very happy dog to be loved and cared for.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top