Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 07:07 PM

I have a mystery tenant

My son came for lunch today, he was looking out at the garden and asked why I had blocked off the nesting box in the cherry tree.
The entrance hole was completely blocked with something white which turned out to be sheeps wool . I went out with a twig to push the wool inside and the whole box appears to be full of wool

I wonder what bird could be using the box at this time of year.
I have see Blue Tits and a female Bullfinch sitting on top of the box and peering in the hole but I haven't noticed any bird taking wool inside.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 07:36 PM

Re: I have a mystery tenant

I have a box about three feet from my French Windows. In the five years the box has been there it has never been used for nesting, but by late summer a blue tit comes in to roost every evening. At the moment it is at about 5.45 pm but as the days shorten the roosting time is earlier. In winter I see it going in at about 4 pm. I dont suppose it is the same bird in all of this time, but I am glad the box is being used through the winter. There is nesting material in the box.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 07:48 PM

Must have been a woolly bully

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 08:55 PM

Are you sure it's a bird, our bird box has been taken over by two tiny field mice, they've taken loads of wool from the sheep in next field in to nest.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Are you sure it's a bird, our bird box has been taken over by two tiny field mice, they've taken loads of wool from the sheep in next field in to nest.
You beat me to it Julie, I was going to suggest mice.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I have a box about three feet from my French Windows. In the five years the box has been there it has never been used for nesting, but by late summer a blue tit comes in to roost every evening. At the moment it is at about 5.45 pm but as the days shorten the roosting time is earlier. In winter I see it going in at about 4 pm. I dont suppose it is the same bird in all of this time, but I am glad the box is being used through the winter. There is nesting material in the box.
You need to clean it out,they won't nest in there with material already in it,wait til early March now though,it'll give a nice warm roosting spot.I clean ours out after the birds have fledged.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 09:45 PM

i have never ever cleaned a box out and I get a nest in mine every year, two broods this year.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Julie the nest box high up in a tree too high I would have thought for a field mouse. I will have to keep an eye on it .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Julie the nest box high up in a tree too high I would have thought for a field mouse. I will have to keep an eye on it .
Ours is about 9 feet up Meg, they manage to climb up, well scamper more like.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 10:01 PM

We frequently have blue tits roosting in the vent of my extractor fan. I have to go outside and make sure they are not in there before I turn my extractor fan over the cooker on. Could be blue tits Meg.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top