Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 10:01 PM

Re: I have a mystery tenant

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Ours is about 9 feet up Meg, they manage to climb up, well scamper more like.
Maybe Julie whomever it is they are welcome to housing for the winter ...
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 11:07 PM

Maybe a dormouse even, look out for the Cheshire Cat.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2017, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
i have never ever cleaned a box out and I get a nest in mine every year, two broods this year.
Its an old article,but its good housekeeping.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wil...intenance.aspx
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2017, 09:58 AM

I have always cleaned out the bird boxes every year, but do not bother with the one the blue tits used for winter roosting, I feel it is too accessible for cats etc., if there were young birds. I do have four other boxes that can be used for nesting, but strangely they never winter roost in those.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2017, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I have always cleaned out the bird boxes every year, but do not bother with the one the blue tits used for winter roosting, I feel it is too accessible for cats etc., if there were young birds. I do have four other boxes that can be used for nesting, but strangely they never winter roost in those.
This is a new box which has never been inhabited, when it has been used I will clean out and wash it every autumn.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2017, 12:54 PM

Who goes round cleaning out the holes in the trees, the nest box fairy?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

20-10-2017, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Who goes round cleaning out the holes in the trees, the nest box fairy?
Obviously no one cleans them but nesting areas can harbour parasites so when there is an opportunity to clean one out it makes sense to do so.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England

20-10-2017, 01:18 PM

I take the attitude that the less human contact the better.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2017, 01:54 PM

As in ... a human is the biggest parasite.

It's the same though with any feeding areas. Germs and poops breed diseases. A good clean now and then is a must.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2017, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
As in ... a human is the biggest parasite.

It's the same though with any feeding areas. Germs and poops breed diseases. A good clean now and then is a must.
Cleaning of feeders and bird tables is essential. I use Jeyes fluid on the bird table, because in the past I have had Greenfinches with Trichomosis, and this can affect Sparrows, Great Tits as well as finches. A couple of years ago I had several Greenfinches die in the garden from this. I then stop feeding the birds for a few weeks and clean everything as the disease is carried on saliva. It is horrible to see the dead birds with seeds caked around their beaks where they have tried eating but cannot.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top