Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 09:00 AM

Pet care plans

From Vet clinics.

Are they worth it? Has anyone taken one out and found it beneficial?
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 09:40 AM

Re: Pet care plans

I joined a Pet Plan when I first got Amber 6 and a half years ago. I stayed with them for three years and then decided it would be cheaper to save my money and pay for her needs as I go. Thankfully, she has only cost me £93 in that time.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 09:49 AM

I think Pet care plans are a good idea for puppies and young dogs because the premiums are low at that time, they rise considerably with age.

I lost Millie at 9 months with a form of kidney disease. The bill for her treatment was over £1,000 10 years ago. I was able to claim that back less the excess and for her purchase price too.

Chloe is still on a pet plan and will soon be aged 10, I may cancel it next year when the premium will rise to over £50 a month.
Chloe is with John Lewis who pay up promptly.
I made one claim this year for having an epulis removed, the excess is £65 so I didn't get a whole lot back.

Millie ..

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 038.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	4594  
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 09:59 AM

if your thinking of getting one of these then do check out what they offer first.
Some will only let you claim once for and illness during the insured year, some have a cut off age when they stop accepting insurance on older dogs. Others won't insure for the first time dogs over a particular age.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 10:15 AM

We have had cats for over 25 years and although we have had to pay for various treatments and a few operations, I'm sure it has cost a fraction of what insurance would have cost. We did look into them but fond that the routine stuff was not covered and usually cost less than the minimum amount that can be claimed.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 10:22 AM

I have always had insurance on my dogs, but as has been mentioned, it is fine in the early days when they are young, but the fees rise dramatically as they get older. By the time my old Labrador was put to sleep I was paying over £100 a month insurance on her through Sainsbury's. Most vet bills which came in were either slightly under their repayment threshhold, or just over, making claiming not worth the effort.

My current little rescue dog I decided not to insure, but pay when necessary for any treatment. I have now had her over three years and, touch wood, only had one visit to the vet - when she stole some chocolate.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 12:53 PM

I had Coco insured under Animal Friends, but have had an argument with them about payment, Coco's last Vet bill was £368.00 with an excess of £99.00. We paid the excess plus £100 towards the bill but they insisted we pay them another £70.00 because Coco is over 8 years old, but they didn't tell us that in the first place. Our plan runs out in December so we will be looking for another one.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 05:54 PM

I've got my two little LaChons, Ollie and Flynn, insured with Animal Friends, with a £99 excess. As they are only 18 months old it gives me peace of mind. Obviously, as they age the premiums will no doubt rise, but at least I am okay for a few years yet (God Willing!). The premiums remained the same for renewal this year so that was a relief. The insurance was £5.93 per dog per month but with discount for insuring two pets I paid £128.16 for the year.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 05:59 PM

Not sure if Jazzi meant pet insurance companies, or her own vet's care plan which would be bit different?

I believe some vets do a plan (a bit like we can do at our dentists), where you can pay towards things like wormers and vaccinations etc. monthly.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 06:05 PM

I didn't even know Vets did Care Plans!! Doh. So we pay for a care plan. They diagnose what ails our pets, and then treat our pets for the same ailment..

Ever the pessimist, at least they cannot claim we are making bogus claims with our pets. But....sorry to be a killjoy, but who is to say they will use the most effective treatment if it is the most expensive and the cost coming from the Vet's own profits?? I guess it's a different kettle of fish if the Vet knows he is going to be paid for expensive treatment by an Insurance Company.

Or am I looking at it unfairly?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top