Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 01:01 PM

How often do you clean your washing machine?

Hi

My washing machine packed up yesterday, halfway through a load.

It took an age to drain down, loads of water.

The filter and coin trap were blocked, apparently you are supposed to clean your filter every month for maximum efficiently.

I cannot remember the last time I cleaned mine.

There was an awful lot of limescale in the pipes as well.

You can get commercial washing machine cleaners, but being unable to drive at the moment, I made my own up and ran them through at 60C three times.

The difference is amazing, the pipes and hoses are clean as a bell, loads of gunk came out and the machine is now like new.

Just a thought for you, I clean my dishwasher once a month, but have neglected the washing machine.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 01:17 PM

Re: How often do you clean your washing machine?

I clean the drum and filters weekly, and put a bottle of white vinegar through at same time, then a borax solution monthly. Having dog beds and blankets going through so often it's dog hair blocks filters here. I've never found anything except dog hair in mine, I'm a pocket sorter out before I put anything in the machine or I'd be washing biscuits and coins and various other things no one thinks to empty out of their pocket !
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 01:23 PM

Eh!!!..never,I know there's a panel at the foot of the machine which would need to be pulled out and unscrewed to be cleaned,but I'm not going there....I clean the detergent dispenser regularly,and it has a self cleaning pump,but there's no limescale prob's with Our soft Scottish water,so I won't concern Myself with it...I do clean the dishwater filter about once a week though.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 01:28 PM

Once a month, I run several maintenance washes using soda crystals, citric acid and white vinegar (not all at once) - luckily, my local Home Bargains store sells all those DP products at low, low prices .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 01:29 PM

I don't think I have ever done it.
Feey
Ireland
Feey is male  Feey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 01:36 PM

after reading this post i just been in kitchen cleaned my tray and filter now running washing with soda crystals to clean the pipes.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 01:41 PM

About once a month I take out the tray and soak it, fabric softener goes black and leaves nasty residue in time.
I also I do an empty run through with some disinfectant added.

The waste filter is fine, only I use the machine and check pockets etc before loading so I know it won't get blocked
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 01:42 PM

What's a filter?

Just kidding. I've no idea where it is and I can't be bothered to read the manual to find it.

For the last 12 years my current beastie has just had a white vinegar wash once a month.
Have to as it's vile water here. If I don't descale the kettle every 2 weeks I end up with crunchy stuff in my tea.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 01:44 PM

Just thought the drawer I do weekly in the dishwasher it seems to have kept it lovely and clean much better than I ever managed soaking and scrubbing.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
What's a filter?

Just kidding. I've no idea where it is and I can't be bothered to read the manual to find it.

For the last 12 years my current beastie has just had a white vinegar wash once a month.
Have to as it's vile water here. If I don't descale the kettle every 2 weeks I end up with crunchy stuff in my tea.
I love that stuff, it saves buying biscuits.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top