Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 09:46 AM

Does anyone else like Fairport Convention?

I do although I'm not a mad fan but they did record some great stuff like Liege and Lief and Unhalfbricking.

Folk music is very soothing for me - I also like Martin Carthy, Donovan, Joan Baez, Al Stewart etc.

I'll have a phase of listening to folk for a couple of weeks then I'll go back to Classic Rock like Neil Young, Dylan and others.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 09:51 AM

Re: Does anyone else like Fairport Convention?

Yes a good band, and Sandy had a beautiful voice. I have a mixed bag of folk music in my collection from the acid folk of Vashti Bunyan to more traditional like June Tabor or Planxty.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 11:44 AM

I have seen Fairport Convention more times than I care to remember and they have never been anything less than utterly entertaining.
Too many favourites to mention but this is special...

Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 11:50 AM

Thanks for that You Tube video I like the song.

June Tabor I've heard of and may have heard something she sang with Martin Carthy. What would be the best album of hers to try out?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 07:20 PM

Sorry for late response, i would suggest Ragged Glory she recorded with the Oysterband, but she has recorded from the 70`s so plenty to go at.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

24-11-2017, 07:35 PM

Thanks.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 02:00 PM

I would say anything that includes her renditions of The Band Played Waltzing Matilda and The Green Fields of France. Anyone not moved to tears by those has no soul.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

05-12-2017, 06:26 PM

I've listened to both those and like them very much.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2017, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Folk music is very soothing for me - I also like Martin Carthy, Donovan, Joan Baez, Al Stewart etc.

I'll have a phase of listening to folk for a couple of weeks then I'll go back to Classic Rock like Neil Young, Dylan and others.
Al Stewart .... yes, like him. This is, for me, his best. I often hum along with it.

If you like him and Donovan do you like Gary Moore - Still Got The Blues?

Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

05-12-2017, 07:27 PM

I saw Al Stewart in concert and he played Year of the Cat. A great album but my favourite is Past, Present and Future from 1973.

I've never listened to much Gary Moore - might give him a go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top