Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 05:43 PM

Re: Back from the Vetīs

Hope she gets better really quickly, id be inclined to see how she is without the collar if it bothers her, just put it on if she does bother the wound. I know most of mine have been fine it's more a precaution than a necessity.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Hope she gets better really quickly, id be inclined to see how she is without the collar if it bothers her, just put it on if she does bother the wound. I know most of mine have been fine it's more a precaution than a necessity.
Thank you Julie. Re the cone, it will have to stay on, we can't risk her rubbing the eye with stitches on the rug, which is what she has been doing recently before we knew there was a problem with her eye. Presumably it was irritating her, but since she always goes and wipes her mucky chops on a rug after eating or drinking, it's quite normal behaviour for her. So I'm afraid the cone will have to stay on, I don't like it any more than she does, but her health is important and we don't want an infected eye.

Just as an aside, a Spanish man we know has a dog (more like a donkey, he really is huge dog), well Messi, the dog, has had an ear operation and is also wearing a cone. Jose sent us a photo telling us we could have the cone when it was removed, he said it would make a nice kennel for ChoCho. Messi's head is as big as ChoCho's body, but he's a lovely gentle giant, he isn't happy about his cone either.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 12:33 AM

Poor ChoCho. I think those cone collars are horrible.
They seem to upset their balance presumably because their ears are muffled, and I have had my other dogs turn on them because they are looking and acting strangely. They walk into door frames etc, and have to get the hang of placing them equally over their bowl to eat and drink too.

I prefer these inflatable buster collars, but for your girl's problem clumsy, I don't think they would do the trick.
They are good at stopping them turning round to nibble at wounds and sutures though after spaying/'castration etc though.

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Buster-I...fo/INFLATCOLL/
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 05:28 AM

Glad to hear all went well for your little one.
I've hated it every time one of ours has had to wear the 'cone of shame', but some times it's the only option.
Maybe, in a few days, you can have it off for a wee while with supervision.

I had to smile at your tale of Messi. The big cones really are big! And they can cause some ouchies!
Hope both ChoCho and Messi have a real quick recovery.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 10:13 AM

Thank you Mups and LMB. I admit I had to giggle about poor Messi, he's quite an old dog now and Jose absolutely adores him, but he really is huge, a cross between a Great Dane and a Donkey I suspect Jose says he will have some painting to do when Messi's cone comes off, he's knocking all the paintwork off the doorways and wall with the cone.

You are right Mups, they must be awful for the poor dogs to wear, but in ChoCho's case it must be. If we took it off she would be straight onto a rug rubbing her face, and with her little snub face I can well imagine infection, or worse, rubbing the stitch out, in her eye.

When she goes back to Maria (Vet) next Tuesday to have the stitch removed, I shall "disappear" whilst it's done. One whimper and I'll be in tears, although to be frankly honest, I have never known Vets anywhere as gentle and caring as they appear to be here. Perhaps we've been really lucky.

ChoCho is obviously feeling better this morning. At some point during the night she managed to jump on my bed, she was snuggled up to me when I woke. Also she's working out the easiest way to eat and drink from her dishes, head down, cone goes over the dish like a dish cover, clever girl, but it does look funny, like that Stork that covers it's head with it's wings when looking for food.

Thank you again for the replies.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 10:17 AM

Ah I understand the problem clumsy, poor girl will have to get used to it. I think they do eventually.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

13-12-2017, 10:21 AM

Thanks Julie. We can't take any chances whilst she has a stitch in her eye. It's just a pity we can't make them understand why they have to wear this instrument of torture.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

13-12-2017, 11:08 AM

We had a terrier who hated a collar so we made it into a game for him, the kids filled it with his toys and treats, he spent may a happy hour tipping it all out looking for the biccies. Might not work for all dogs but he loved it and stopped him fretting over it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 12:34 PM

Glad she's brighter this morning clumsy.
You're right, the buster collars wouldn't protect her eye. Even if she didn't rub along the floor she might use her front paws.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

13-12-2017, 12:42 PM

Madam relaxing on the veranda this morning.

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top