Join for free
Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 02:07 AM

Re: Cricket!!!!

My antipodean mate just sent me an email saying "You were lucky".

Yes-can't argue with that-lucky not to embarrass his lot even more. *smirk*
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
LOVE cricket-not for the 'exitement' value,because as has been noted,it isn't a sport of intensity....but for the strategies,the tactics employed. .
In can be exciting I once watched a nail-biting Sunday match at Taunton, Somerset v Essex I think with a young Ian Botham playing (in 1974 or 5). It was edge of the seat stuff.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I disagree, sport should be on a Sport channel, just for those that want it.
You should get a prize for the most stupid posts ever. National Sport is what it is, sport for the Nation, not the privileged few who can afford extra cost to watch it when retired such as Public Sector workers on bloated pensions being paid for by the un-privileged few.
If anything should be on other channels, it should be the viewing for the brain dead, that would include Coronation Street, East Enders, Emmerdale and similar tripe.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
In can be exciting I once watched a nail-biting Sunday match at Taunton, Somerset v Essex I think with a young Ian Botham playing (in 1974 or 5). It was edge of the seat stuff.
I watched the 1953 Aussie touring team play Sussex which was before Botham was born Heck , guess I was turning out myself then
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
I watched the 1953 Aussie touring team play Sussex which was before Botham was born Heck , guess I was turning out myself then
I didn't really become interested in cricket until I met/married a 'Sunday cricketer' and took turns to do 'the teas '
My stepson had trials with Somerset and Worcester but his mother didn't consider being a cricketer to be a 'proper job' so he didn't pursue a career in sport .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 11:07 AM

You should get a prize for the most stupid posts ever. National Sport is what it is, sport for the Nation, not the privileged few who can afford extra cost to watch it when retired such as Public Sector workers on bloated pensions being paid for by the un-privileged few.
If anything should be on other channels, it should be the viewing for the brain dead, that would include Coronation Street, East Enders, Emmerdale and similar tripe.
Hey DoE you really need to get iut more it's only an opinion, I really don't know why it nothers you so much if someone disagrees with you but I doubt it's a new experience is it? Personally I feel my opinion has as much merit as anyone else's, even yours.....

But back to my original post, it it hard to disagree that this last display by eleven of the finest cricketers in the world was any less than pathetic, and I wouldn't be surprised if the tables were completely turned around in the next test. They probably just toss a coin in the dressng room before they start to see whose turn it is to fall flat on their faces

But to each their own I guess....
dukeofearl
south coast uk

01-08-2015, 11:40 AM

Hey DoE you really need to get iut more it's only an opinion, I really don't know why it nothers you so much if someone disagrees with you but I doubt it's a new experience is it? Personally I feel my opinion has as much merit as anyone else's, even yours.....

But back to my original post, it it hard to disagree that this last display by eleven of the finest cricketers in the world was any less than pathetic, and I wouldn't be surprised if the tables were completely turned around in the next test. They probably just toss a coin in the dressng room before they start to see whose turn it is to fall flat on their faces

But to each their own I guess....
It is not if somebody disagrees with me, it is when a person puts zero thought into what they are posting.
You suggest sport should be on a pay to view channel. That means for a person who only wishes to watch a few hours of the current Test series every three years, they have to pay a package for sport of zero interest they will never watch...ludicrous and money driven.
Yes I can afford to pay it , but on principle have zero intention, rather go fishing thanks and learn what life is about .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 12:57 PM

It is not if somebody disagrees with me, it is when a person puts zero thought into what they are posting.
You suggest sport should be on a pay to view channel. That means for a person who only wishes to watch a few hours of the current Test series every three years, they have to pay a package for sport of zero interest they will never watch...ludicrous and money driven.
Yes I can afford to pay it , but on principle have zero intention, rather go fishing thanks and learn what life is about .
On the contrary, I never mentioned a "pay per view" channel, only that it should have it's own dedicated channel, my thinking being that it would save those of us that have no interest whatever in sport from having it foisted upon us in prime time at the expense of everything else. Surely the BBC have enough channels to be able spare one , or even two, exclusively for sport rather than showing, as sometimes happens, the same match or game across every channel simultaneously.

Live and let live is a two way street, even us sport haters should have rights.
dukeofearl
south coast uk

01-08-2015, 01:49 PM

On the contrary, I never mentioned a "pay per view" channel, only that it should have it's own dedicated channel, my thinking being that it would save those of us that have no interest whatever in sport from having it foisted upon us in prime time at the expense of everything else. Surely the BBC have enough channels to be able spare one , or even two, exclusively for sport rather than showing, as sometimes happens, the same match or game across every channel simultaneously.

Live and let live is a two way street, even us sport haters should have rights.
Yes I agree with that, except the BBC has lost so many sporting events it is a national joke, so how in your opinion do they show such events on all their channels at the same time? The days even when boring tennis cover was put on during a Test Match is also long gone.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

01-08-2015, 02:01 PM

Yes I agree with that, except the BBC has lost so many sporting events it is a national joke, so how in your opinion do they show such events on all their channels at the same time? The days even when boring tennis cover was put on during a Test Match is also long gone.
It frequently happens during Wimbledon and the British Open golf, and just don't get me started on the World Cup footie or Euros.

Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top