Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2016, 01:13 PM

Re: Eating for Health

Originally Posted by Parvaty ->
To my thinking the problem is that healthy food takes much more money and time for preparing (and consuming) than fastfood
The cost of decent food, like anything in life, is dependent on how savvy you are and how switched-on you are.

If for example you buy dry herbs in those little Schwartz pots seen in supermarkets then you are paying through the nose for them because you are buying tiny quantities. Buy them in bulk from places like Macro or Costco and they are far far cheaper. The same goes for lots of other foods.

Buy a little punnet of tomatoes and it will be expensive. By a large tray of tomatoes and it's quite cheap.

So the trick/skill is to buy in bulk and to learn how and what to prepare with those larger quantities so that nothing goes off and is wasted. For example, I will put large batches of tomatoes into a large saucepan with plenty of fresh chopped garlic and simmer them down for about 40 mins at which time they will be all broken down and sloppy. I then blitz them in a blender and put them in separate pots to store in the freezer.

Any time I want to make a Chilli, or Lasagna, or tomato based pasta I just whip one out of the freezer. Simple, cheap and healthy.

I also make my own bread regularly as the supermarket crap is full of nasty ingredients and is unhealthy. Rather than buy a little bag of flour from the supermarket, I buy a large 25kg sack of it which costs about £17. A 1kg bag of Wheat Flour from Sainsburys costs about £1.40 !

You can get tons of cheap foods buying in bulk like this. Dried pasta's, dried grains, herbs, spices, muesli, oats etc etc.

As for preparation, yes, it will always take time to prepare a proper meal than walk into MacDoodles and have an "instant fix" pile of crap. It's your body, you have a choice what to feed it with. You can make yourself ill by constantly eating bad foods, or you can take control of your health and eat fresh ingredients 100% of the time.

My belief is that Diets, per say, are an utter waste of time. They focus on a temporary eating change to quickly lose weight, which is bad thinking. It takes years to gradually put on a lot of weight and it will take years to gradually and properly get rid of it. You achieve it by fundamentally understanding what was wrong with your eating habits and choices, and by consciously deciding to change those bad eating habits to good eating habits. It's more about what you are eating than how much you are eating imo.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2016, 02:26 PM

Hi

Weight is a personal thing.

I am fatally attracted by tall slim blondes.

I much prefer the smaller sized ladies, simple fact of life, small women do not hurt you as much when they hit you.

A lesson I learnt early in life, my two little sisters were good Northern Lasses, well capable of carrying a pregnant ewe under each arm through a six foot snowdrift.

You wouldn't want a slap off either off them.

To me Size 8 is a trifle hefty.

Size 6 and 5ft 9inch tall is acceptable.

Now retreating to safety and hiding behind the sofa.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2016, 05:35 PM

No swimfeeders, you must have a woman who has a bit to hold on to.

As for herbs, I grow in my garden, rosemary, thyme, mint, coriander and tomatoes, spices I buy large packets and store them in spice jars in my kitchen unit.

And if I cook Lasagna, Shepherd's pie etc. I normally would make a few of them in one go and put them into the freezer.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2016, 05:47 PM

Sorry SF, but i love to see a curvy lady, cuddle factor is a plus for me. And no girls, just real women. As long as they are happy with themselves and are confident with there looks. Whats not to like.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2016, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Sorry SF, but i love to see a curvy lady, cuddle factor is a plus for me. And no girls, just real women. As long as they are happy with themselves and are confident with there looks. Whats not to like.

Ooh I say Nommy, you'd never have admitted anything like that once upon a time, you little rascal. Now I am off to look in the mirror to see if I have the cuddle factor, or not. . . .
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2016, 12:30 PM

So the trick/skill is to buy in bulk and to learn how and what to prepare with those larger quantities so that nothing goes off and is wasted. For example, I will put large batches of tomatoes into a large saucepan with plenty of fresh chopped garlic and simmer them down for about 40 mins at which time they will be all broken down and sloppy. I then blitz them in a blender and put them in separate pots to store in the freezer.

I do this myself--but have to buy tomatos in Sainburys--but the loose tomatoes work out cheaper in there--make a tasty tomato soup---but generally, if you live in a village, and have no car--it is not easy to buy in bulk---plus the cost of buying in bulk, is not always feasible--I know it wiorks out cheaper in the end---but if you do not have enough to buy , say--a sack of flour, then its pointless. !
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 01:58 PM

Realist

Although bulk buying is a good idea for families, if you lived alone the contents would go off before you could use it all up, and you would find weevils living there as they love grains and mold as well.
It would need to be in a cool place like a Larder which many homes do not have these days.
How nice it was when we had Corner Shops, where you could buy daily Fresh Bread, Ham and Bacon on the Bone, local Cheese, and Vegatables and Salad all without Chemicals.
And the Grocer treated you like a friend and was always glad to see you also ou could hear all the Street/Village gossip there, especially about 'Her at No 42.' Jezebel!!

Many people now buy a whole months supply and it can't be fresh at the end of the month.

Unfortunately as there are more people to cater for, preservitives are added to keep food fresher longer.

Sadly, many people now just use Microwaves to reheat ready meals and if you are disabled with Arthritis in the fingers that is your only recourse to hot food.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 02:47 PM

Hi

Eating healthily needn't be as expensive as people think.

Growing your own herbs, even on a window sill is easy.

Making your own bread is easy, especially soda bread.

Cheats Bread is foolproof, no kneading required.

http://www.food.com/recipe/matt-pres...e-bread-518030

It is also delicious, just half the quantity if you live on your own.

Lidl is ridiculously cheap for fresh vegetables.

Buy basics mushrooms, they taste the same, just odd shapes and sizes.

Things like soy sauce and fish sauce, turmeric etc are a fraction of the price in Chinese and Asian Supermarkets than in the big supermarkets.

Five Spice is £1.50 for 58 gms in Tesco, £2.99 for 100 gms at Holland and Barrett, but only £2.55 for 454 gms in the Chinese Supermarket.

Tandoori Masala Powder is £2.99 for 100gms in the usual supermarkets, but only £1.99 for 300gms in the Asian Shop.

Shop wisely, eat healthy, it needn't cost a lot.
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 03:56 PM

Sounds good and makes sense--but I live in a small village---only lidl is on the industrial site---impossible without own transport--and I have not even seen a chinese supermarket, in my 3 nearest towns of 6,7 and 13 miles away.
Let alone able to get there....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ooh I say Nommy, you'd never have admitted anything like that once upon a time, you little rascal. Now I am off to look in the mirror to see if I have the cuddle factor, or not. . . .
I definitely have the cuddle factor, ugly face though!
I'm growing my own stuff now, gradually, I have more garden room and less house!

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top