Join for free
Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2013, 09:33 AM

Re: Papal Conclave

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
My goodness, and I thought the debates in our family were interesting... we have Catholics, recovering Catholics, born-again Christians, pagans and Wiccans in our numbers. Mixed marriages. All welcome, all tolerated, all willing to jump into lively discussion if religion raises its head... but we respect each other's beliefs.

I abandoned organized religion some time ago though I sometimes browse and read up on various ones out of interest.

Love one another. Live and let live. An ye harm no one, do as ye will.
Yes same here, Catholics, Atheists, C of E, Chapel, Salvation Army and a German Jew married into the family, we all rubbed along together respecting each other, loving each other. I don't understand why everyone can't get along and respect each other. And sadly on forums it tends to be Atheists who let the side down and show no respect.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

15-03-2013, 10:23 AM

Julie there is much to disrespect about some religious practices as they can lead to terrible abuse.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2013, 10:31 AM

And much to respect. But of course some people know little or nothing about religions and so just bang on with their ignorant prejudice.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2013, 03:53 PM

What tickles me Mesco is your wild assumptions.

I did a lot of soul searching in my time, which included looking very seriously at religions of all faiths. What I found was that the 'Word' was continually besmirched by, quite frankly, hypocrites that had their own agenda for attending church - and it wasn't in the praise of God.

Once church attendance had taken place, a bigger bunch of fishwives I have yet to meet, which left me very cynical.

I also questioned at length the clergy, who could come up with no more than calling my questioning blasphemy.

So my atheism is based on fact, not ignorant prejudices.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2013, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
What tickles me Mesco is your wild assumptions.

I did a lot of soul searching in my time, which included looking very seriously at religions of all faiths. What I found was that the 'Word' was continually besmirched by, quite frankly, hypocrites that had their own agenda for attending church - and it wasn't in the praise of God.

Once church attendance had taken place, a bigger bunch of fishwives I have yet to meet, which left me very cynical.

I also questioned at length the clergy, who could come up with no more than calling my questioning blasphemy.

So my atheism is based on fact, not ignorant prejudices.
Then there are two of us making wild assumptions as I was not referring to you.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2013, 07:40 PM

Some time ago I picked up a copy of The Pagan Christ. Anybody else read it? This is a decent review.

Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top