Join for free
Rain
New Member!
Ireland
Rain is female 

29-09-2012, 06:45 PM

A Sneeze Too Far

I had a really silly mishap about a week ago. I sneezed and got an awful pain around the rib area. I seem to have pulled a muscle at the front and side inbetween my ribs. I thought this would go away but it seems to be getting more and more painful. Every little twisting movement causes pain. Turning over in bed is quite an ordeal.

I can’t believe I hurt myself this badly all because of one sneeze! If it doesn’t get better soon I will go to the doctor. Has anyone else ever pulled muscles in the rib area? I am not sure if I should be resting or in fact should keep moving to stop it seizing up.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2012, 07:18 PM

Re: A Sneeze Too Far

According to this it can.

Ribs, Nerves and Pulled Muscles
A sneeze can pull the intercostal muscle, which is a small muscle between the ribs, and this can be extremely painful. Also very painful is when the power of a sneeze causes the position of the joint where the rib meets the spine to become misaligned. Sneezing can trigger muscle spasms and aggravate pinched nerves, both of which may result in pain and discomfort.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2012, 07:22 PM

goodness .
Rain have you tried applying heat/a hot water bottle on the sore area. I hope it is better soon.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2012, 08:54 PM

Sorry to hear you've hurt yourself Rain. From a simple sneeze I've had the sneezes this week - I'll be very careful from now on.
It's the jerking that has probably done it, or you could have torn the muscle. Resting the muscle, giving it time to heal is probably best.
I reckon Meg's idea of heat is a good one
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2012, 08:59 PM

Many years ago I sneezed and had to lie down for three days as it was too painful to stand up...........back trouble.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2012, 09:31 PM

Good heavens I hope you are feeling better soon.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2012, 10:12 AM

Yes, I hope you feel better soon as well Rain. Take care.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top