Join for free
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 02:17 PM

Anyone use Time Machine?

I have started using Time Machine on my Mac but it has become stuck on Preparing backup. I have 177 GB OF 320 GB available on my external hard drive and tried all sorts of ways to free it up.

I've done this method below but still no joy. Any ideas what try next or what the problem is.

Open the Time Machine disk, go to the "Backups.backupdb" folder, and remove the file that ends with ".inProgress" as its suffix
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 03:04 PM

Re: Anyone use Time Machine?

After spending hours trying to fix the problem, seems I have now

Patience is a virtue.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 03:16 PM

I am happy to hear you figured it out Leia.
I have a mac also, but since I have gotten older, I have forgotten how to use all the features it has.

I have always used macs. If I sat down at a PC, I wouldn't even know how to open it or surf the web on it.
Leia
UK

18-07-2018, 03:25 PM

Hi Blue

I figured it out eventually. I think as I have gotten older I have less patience with trouble shooting

I love my Mac and iPad would never go back to using a PC either.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 03:28 PM

Yes Leia, I believe "once a mac, always a mac".
Actually, I am just about ready to trade mine in. I have a mac (air) laptop. I don't like the air, so it is time to go back to a mac-book. I would like to have an iphone also, but my eyes are bad, so I would have trouble seeing things.
Leia
UK

18-07-2018, 03:33 PM

My husband has a Mac air laptop and I don't get on with it at all. I only use it to help him out with stuff, haha My eyes are bad too and an iPhone would be no good to me either
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 04:14 PM

I would never go back to using a Windows device. Same with all my gear. I have an Apple Watch, iPhones, Pencil, Airpods, iPad and MacBook.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Yes Leia, I believe "once a mac, always a mac".
Actually, I am just about ready to trade mine in. I have a mac (air) laptop. I don't like the air, so it is time to go back to a mac-book. I would like to have an iphone also, but my eyes are bad, so I would have trouble seeing things.

You can mess about with the settings till you can see things clearer

On my phone not only have I chosen a larger font, Ive also put it to bold, its so much easier to use

Same with my air, I just have the zoom up a bit, have bold as default, I can see it ok and believe me I am as blind as a bat and come evening I find Im struggling even with glasses
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 02:43 PM

Whether Mac, MS Windows or Linux, I reckon sitting in front of a 22" (or more) monitor driven by a Desktop computer is best.
Leia
UK

19-07-2018, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Whether Mac, MS Windows or Linux, I reckon sitting in front of a 22" (or more) monitor driven by a Desktop computer is best.
My Mac has a 24" monitor and is almost ten years old. It's age is the reason I am making sure I back up everything now as I would hate to lose all my photos. It has served me well with absolutely no problems.

My husband has a MacBook Air laptop and it would be OK as a temporary measure if needed but I would replace my Mac desktop without a doubt.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top