Join for free
Page 179 of 370 « First < 79 129 169 177 178 179 180 181 189 229 279 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 03:18 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Missy - A five mile run using your arms is brilliant! I can just picture you scurrying, wheel-barrow-style around the countryside. What a weird image. You'll have bigger and better arms than me soon, I'll have to up my game I think!

Suzie - Regarding the toe, you're at least doing the best you can to compensate for your not altogether perfect strides at the moment. Just do the best you can with it, but not too much to make things worse of course

- - - - - - - - - - -

Five days since my last session and the absence of any leg work (apart from the mandatory eight miles I walk and climb stairs each night at work) advised me I needed at least a quick blast on the sled press if nothing else. That was taken care of, plus an all-round high reps effort to boot. With strength not a priority for my mid-week session, the real work will be carried out on Friday when time is no object.

Wednesday, 18/6/18:
(All weights in kgs)

Sled (horizontal) leg press:
60x120, 40x160, 25x200, 50x100
*Well that sorted out the leg girders good and right and very nearly terminated my session, such was the breathlessness of my actions. One must persevere, however ready for the knackers yard I felt…

Pec dec:
50x30

Shoulder press, supine grip:
20x30
*Normally I use the plate-laden apparatus but it was in use by a gang of newbie students on phones, so I made do with the stack version instead. Good to press with diagonally-placed hand grips for a change.

Smith shoulder press, 60° wide grip:
25x20

Smith flat bench press:
20x35

Chest press:
25x40

E-Z preacher curl:
25x18

Tricep extensions:
50x30

Bicep stack machine curls:
40x15

Ab crunch:
50x30

Time: 45 mins.

Not a great deal of tortuous graft but at least it blew the cobwebs away.

Thanks for reading
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 12:14 AM

I did 20 mins treadmill interval training, no running just power walking slow down, speed up. 5 mins cross trainer then I did some muscle work on arms and legs. Went for a 30 mins swim after. The water was perfect temperature. Loved it!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I did 20 mins treadmill interval training, no running just power walking slow down, speed up. 5 mins cross trainer then I did some muscle work on arms and legs. Went for a 30 mins swim after. The water was perfect temperature. Loved it!
Great work, Lion Queen.
It must be great having a pool at your gym, jumping into it in this humid heat. There isn't one at mine unfortunately.

When I used to do cardio work I would set the treadmill at a high pace on the flat then every minute decrease the speed a couple of km/h's and at the same time increase the incline. You end up at a gradient of 15% and a speed of about 4km/h really working those calves and hams. Loved it!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

19-07-2018, 04:06 PM

You can hear a pin drop in here.

A training session wasn’t planned at all today but since I awoke for some reason feeling really bouncy and invigorated and with no school run to contend with, I hit the gym. Hastily arranging a typical schedule I started work on the building process once more (or at least the maintenance stage anyway).

Thursday, 19/6/18:
(All weights in kgs)

DB bench press:
6x24’s, 6x26’s, 6x30’s, 6x32’s, 4x34’s
*Reaching 60kg was a rare feat these days but lifting 68kg on the last set was something I haven’t done in a long, long time. If you don’t go for it, you don’t achieve it. Seems no rest was really needed following yesterday’s reps workout.

Lat pulldown, wide grip:
10x40, 10x50, 8x60

Next I tried some single-arm standing DB presses. I began with a basic 16kg weight with my right arm and managed that adequately but when it came to the left my shoulder immediately disagreed with the exercise in question and told me to back off. Seems an age-old niggle doesn’t always go away.

Seated row:
25x35

Chest press:
12x60, 12x70, 12x80
25x40

Fly dec (arms extended as if using cables, pull inward):
20x72.5, 15x80, 15x87.5, 15x95
50x50, 25x65
*These are great for the delts with the weight pushed (or pulled?) seemingly feeling very light for the actual poundage selected. On the two sets of high reps I used the biceps setting as a warm-up for my next exercise.

E-Z preacher curl, close grip, low vertical pull:
6x40.5, 6x45.5, 6x50.5, 4x55.5
25x23
*Rounding up my usual 28, 38kg etc to the nearest 5kg instead (40.5…) (I include the 8kg bar in this exercise), I was lifting this bar today almost effortlessly. When I reached 55kg it was noticeably more difficult but there was still more left in the tank if I’d have bothered to carry on instead of doing the final fast reps set. My biceps were on fire!

Tricep pushdowns:
50x15

Seated ham curls:
25x40, 15x50, 10x60

Horizontal ‘sled’ leg press:
50x150
*Two leg exercises in case I don’t make it on Sunday for my legs sesh (see below*). Following yesterday’s rather inhuman effort on the sled press I nearly didn’t do this exercise today. However, the way I was bounding about the gym meant that the adage of “Why the hell not?” raised its goading head and I went for it. The 50@150kg was something that burned my quads to a frazzle but by gum, it felt great! I won’t be able to walk tonight – but you watch, I’ll end up doing a job at work that requires about ten miles of travelling on foot. So be it…that’s good cardio in my book.

Ab crunch:
50x30

Time: 1hr. 10mins.

I absolutely loved all that. Still full of energy it was a shame to depart the gym today but it was soon back into the week’s final routine of tea time/bed/work, so I had to sadly leave with toned muscles but also tears in my eyes

*Tomorrow’s session and indeed anything during the weekend may be difficult as I’m looking after my granddaughter as her mother (and new flame) are having a rare weekend away together. (My grandson and newly acquired 4-y.o. will be at their dad’s and auntie’s respectively). I already have my usual Saturday afternoon planned however - that’s my essential social time, but to spend some quality time with the girl, I may put my gym sessions on hold until Monday, we’ll see what happens.

Thanks for reading.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2018, 10:40 AM

Assuming Sunday is my first run of the new week, then Friday must be the last run of the old one.... So that'll be twenty one miles this week of nothing to write home about jog's, although there is always time and space on the forum just to let my fellow exercise'ees know that I haven't been slacking.

I've been enjoying running in the heat, it can be quite challenging, but you know you've been out on a run when you arrive home with sweat streaming down your face and legs, lungs struggling for air, and a tee shirt that sticks to your body like a second skin. Take no notice of the time just be thankful you arrived home still running at all....

It's not as bad as it sounds though, early morning is probably the coolest time of the day, and the less busy. Apart from the odd dog walker and queueing traffic along the mile or so of main road I run alongside, it's pretty idylic.
The cool church like atmosphere of the woods, with tall trees trying to outreach each other in the quest for the sunlight, the carpet of discarded leaves providing a perfect shock absorbing surface, and the long stretches of quiet country lanes, firm and dry now after several weeks of hot sunny weather.

I feel honoured at sixty eight to still be part of the ever changing seasons, and to visit mother nature's living room for an hour every other day......
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 04:16 AM

LQ, you are coming right along! Intervals are great for speed, burning calories, and building endurance - a perfect pairing with your swimming.

Oh, very nice, Floydy - a freebie! I can tell you were really on today. Well done.

OGF, you know how much I love to run in the heat and humidity. There is a trail I often run that I have nicknamed the "cathedral of trees" because of the gothic arches that are formed by the soaring pine trees. The nave of the cathedral is a vast, cool space down the middle of which lies the beckoning aisle.

But there was nary a tree in sight as I chose the dune road today. Late day thunderstorms were threatening but stayed across the bay so the few of us on the strand enjoyed fishing, running, or photographing without the usual traffic. It is a two mile run to the end of the road and in between there are two gentle rises and two gentle downward slopes. My pace was a little slow, but somehow seemed in time with the creeping heat of the afternoon and the long shadows that stretched into Dali-surreal shapes before me.

Before I knew it, I reached the end of the cul-de-sac surrounded by low-lying dunes crowned with sea oats. Allowing myself a rare moment to cool down, I turned back, just as a sea breeze lifted my will to push through another two miles. Drenched, winded, and spent, I made the last turn where just to the left the old dune scrub oak marked the beginning, end, and only witness of my little victory.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 03:39 AM

First day out surfing in earnest for a month. Light winds, long lines of curling coke-bottle green waves - pure fun with nary a jellyfish in sight. There were a few rays and fish jumping about, but nothing to worry about.

I cancelled it all out with a giant bowl of homemade pasta with roasted vegetables. Oh well, there's always a few more mile to help burn of the calories...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
First day out surfing in earnest for a month. Light winds, long lines of curling coke-bottle green waves - pure fun with nary a jellyfish in sight. There were a few rays and fish jumping about, but nothing to worry about.

I cancelled it all out with a giant bowl of homemade pasta with roasted vegetables. Oh well, there's always a few more mile to help burn of the calories...
Wot no fish or meat?.......

Sounds like you were ready for a good splash about Surfermom.....

Not such a good run for me this morning unfortunately.

Nothing wrong with the weather, hardly a breeze to ruffle the leaves on the trees that dominate the view from my kitchen window. The sky was a uniform shade of grey and looking like rain, but we both know that rain will not be in the forecast for at least the next few weeks, just as it hasn't been for the last eight weeks, witnessed by the dozens of straw coloured lawns I passed while struggling out of the village.

I say 'Struggled' because my piriformis seemed no better this morning than it had done when it last rained. Of course, there are good mornings and bad mornings, and for some reason today had turned out to be a bad morning. I limped round my six mile route and felt marginally better after four of those miles, but then the tiredness took hold and I dragged my lethargic body along the last two miles....We'll see what Tuesday brings.....
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 12:28 PM

Sorry to hear you had a bad morning Foxy, I hope it is only temporary.

I forgot to post last night that I did a gym and swim. Today I am having a day of rest but already I'm feeling guilty like i should do something, perhaps I'll go for a walk as I won't have time for the gym because it closes at 8 today and my day is full until then.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

22-07-2018, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Sorry to hear you had a bad morning Foxy, I hope it is only temporary.

I forgot to post last night that I did a gym and swim. Today I am having a day of rest but already I'm feeling guilty like i should do something, perhaps I'll go for a walk as I won't have time for the gym because it closes at 8 today and my day is full until then.
Thanks Lion Queen, you win some etc.....

But you've never quit until you quit trying....

Rest days are acceptable Lion Queen, I'm going to watch last nights Tour-de-France and the German F1.....

Have a nice day whatever you decide to do...

Page 179 of 370 « First < 79 129 169 177 178 179 180 181 189 229 279 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top