Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 05:38 PM

Problems with A Vax Cordless Vacuum Cleaner.

Does anyone have one of these.......

It's a Vax Cordless Lift U85 Vacuum Cleaner?
If so, have you had any problems with the rear wheels?

We paid £249 for it from John Lewis in May last year, and after only using it for a few months one of the rear wheels became so wobbly that it caught on the wheel guard which made it almost impossible to push. We returned it to John Lewis who, fair do's replaced it with a new one of the same type. Now after just a few more months the same thing has happened again.

Our neighbour has bought exactly the same model and guess what? One of the rear wheels has gone wobbly and had to be returned, but they bought it from somewhere else and had to wait while theirs was repaired at the shop.

I have a solution, so if anyone has experienced the same problem contact me and I will explain......
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 05:43 PM

Re: Problems with A Vax Cordless Vacuum Cleaner.

Have you been here Bob

http://support.vax.co.uk/support/quicklinks/complaints/
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Have you been here Bob

http://support.vax.co.uk/support/quicklinks/complaints/
Thanks Meg I've had a look into their site but I'm afraid it's gone past complaining. The second time the same fault occurred on the new vacuum cleaner (being an engineer) I dismantled the unit to find the cause of the recurring problem.
I found that the design of the wheel mountings was poor and failure of these mountings will eventually happen on all new machines. The vacuum cleaner itself is of good design and we are very pleased with the performance but issuing me with a new machine, or even repairing the damaged one is unacceptable. So I have redesigned the rear wheel mounting system and should it prove to be successful it will not require any further maintenance. Of course, should it not be successful I will scrap the unit and buy a G tech Air Ram. Thanks Meg, I will report further on my progress....

PS:- I shall furnish Vax with a full report of my findings and remedy.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 09:24 PM

£249 seems a lot for what is essentially a battery and a motor. Problem with any device that is battery powered is that it is only as good as that battery and eventually the device will fail purely because the battery has had its life, which isn't long. Is it possible to replace the batteries in the Vax and if so at what cost?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 09:33 PM

I don't know anything about your Vax problems but I do have the number for the Samaritans
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-10-2016, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
£249 seems a lot for what is essentially a battery and a motor. Problem with any device that is battery powered is that it is only as good as that battery and eventually the device will fail purely because the battery has had its life, which isn't long. Is it possible to replace the batteries in the Vax and if so at what cost?

Yes Realist it is possible to replace the battery for a mere £80 although a spare battery is provided with each new machine.
The batteries are lithium life batteries, and although I don't believe they will last for the life of the Vacuum Cleaner they will, in fact, outlast standard rechargeable batteries by a quite considerable amount.

£249 is a substantial amount for a Vacuum Cleaner however, the technology is quite amazing. Apart from the fact that you have the freedom to traverse around every room in the house without the constraints of a flex, it collects debris as efficient as any mains operated machine I have ever used. It is lighter than a conventional machine and very manoeuvrable. The 12 volt motor revs faster than a standard unit and generally speaking the design of the cleaner is very rigid.

Unfortunately the design of the rear wheel assemblies will not provide enough support for the small axles and the moulded plastic mountings will inevitably fail after a few months of weekly use. When the mountings fail, it allows enough play in the wheel (Wobbly Wheel Syndrome) for it to catch on the wheel guard and is impossible to push. It is for this reason that I have redesigned one of the rear wheel assemblies, and should it be a success, I will attempt to correct the other one. The unit was used by Mrs Fox for the first time today since the modification and I can report, so far so good.....
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2016, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
[/B]

Yes Realist it is possible to replace the battery for a mere £80 although a spare battery is provided with each new machine.
The batteries are lithium life batteries, and although I don't believe they will last for the life of the Vacuum Cleaner they will, in fact, outlast standard rechargeable batteries by a quite considerable amount.

£249 is a substantial amount for a Vacuum Cleaner however, the technology is quite amazing. Apart from the fact that you have the freedom to traverse around every room in the house without the constraints of a flex, it collects debris as efficient as any mains operated machine I have ever used. It is lighter than a conventional machine and very manoeuvrable. The 12 volt motor revs faster than a standard unit and generally speaking the design of the cleaner is very rigid.

Unfortunately the design of the rear wheel assemblies will not provide huenough support for the small axles and the moulded plastic mountings will inevitably fail after a few months of weekly use. When the mountings fail, it allows enough play in the wheel (Wobbly Wheel Syndrome) for it to catch on the wheel guard and is impossible to push. It is for this reason that I have redesigned one of the rear wheel assemblies, and should it be a success, I will attempt to correct the other one. The unit was used by Mrs Fox for the first time today since the modification and I can report, so far so good.....
When I built my last home I installed a central vacuum system, absolutely brilliant. so when I moved back into the house is rented out I had no vacuum cleaner.

I bought the Vax Air Reach, OK its not cordless but the massive length of hose allows me to do the staircase without having to move the Vax.

Great bit of kit the Vax cleaners.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

24-10-2016, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
When I built my last home I installed a central vacuum system, absolutely brilliant. so when I moved back into the house is rented out I had no vacuum cleaner.

I bought the Vax Air Reach, OK its not cordless but the massive length of hose allows me to do the staircase without having to move the Vax.

Great bit of kit the Vax cleaners.
Yes I agree Tpin, I would certainly continue to buy Vax products in the future. Check the wheels first though....
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2016, 07:33 AM

Don't you PAY people to clean and do that sort of stuff - and supply their own gear ??

Haven't used a broom, vacuum cleaner or a lawnmower (or washed a car) in decades.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

24-10-2016, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Don't you PAY people to clean and do that sort of stuff - and supply their own gear ??

Haven't used a broom, vacuum cleaner or a lawnmower (or washed a car) in decades.
Pay Someone Pummie? Hell no, why do you think I married Mrs Fox? She comes in really handy, but she hasn't mastered changing the engine oil in my car yet though...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top