Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Doug_J
New Member!
West Sussex
Doug_J is male 

10-04-2018, 07:08 AM

Re: Problems with A Vax Cordless Vacuum Cleaner.

Yes I'm quite handy with tools.
I've removed the brushbar and all the screws holding the clear plastic cover on but it doesn't seem to want to come of easily, didn't want to force it!
Any advice would be appreciated.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I have recently invested in a 'Shark' - light weight, easy to maneuver, has tools for upholstery and it deals efficiently with cat hair!
We've just inherited a corded version of the shark I'm using at the caravan but I have to say I'd quite like one at home, it's amazing.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 09:44 PM

Vax machine packed up, less than impressed with customer service/costs so went to a local man who repaired but don't buy Vax again!

Had a Nilfisk two piece 18VDC vacuum which failed, Their customer service is even worse than VAX. Their local "agent" had no technical details or battery type. Nilfisk said the batteries can't be changed. Sorry to deviate....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
We paid £249 for it from John Lewis in May last year, and after only using it for a few months one of the rear wheels became so wobbly that it caught on the wheel guard which made it almost impossible to push.
£249 ($500) for a vacuum cleaner! Bloody hell! I have been prevaricating about spending $399 on a Dyson cordless vacuum.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We've just inherited a corded version of the shark I'm using at the caravan but I have to say I'd quite like one at home, it's amazing.
Mine is a corded one, Julie, and I am delighted with it - it is so efficient and easy to handle. If it has a fault - it is a minor one, it needs emptying more frequently than my dyson did - but I can live with that - the benefits outweigh the small inconvenience!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
£249 ($500) for a vacuum cleaner! Bloody hell! I have been prevaricating about spending $399 on a Dyson cordless vacuum.
Dyson vacuum cleaners are expensive compared to some others, but in my experience they are of very good quality.

If you keep an eye on the market, when they bring out a new model the earlier models suddenly seem to lose an appreciable proportion of their earlier price.

When the cordless V8 model came out, for example, not long afterwards we bought a V6 model at much reduced cost. The V8 benefits from a few frills, but the actual cleaning power, motor, filtration, etc, are very little different from the earlier model.

Another thing worth mentioning, I think, is that Mr Dyson comes up with all sorts of inventions and improvements whereas his competitors attempt to take advantage of them in their own models, but fail to do so properly because he has had the foresight to patent his inventions!
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 01:21 PM

See a lot of Dysons at car boot sales. Can't last long unlike my two Miele German machines - the first lasted over twenty years and the current one fifteen - and spares are available........
Doug_J
New Member!
West Sussex
Doug_J is male 

11-04-2018, 06:26 PM

I've removed the brushbar and all the screws holding the clear plastic cover on but it doesn't seem to want to come of easily, didn't want to force it!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
See a lot of Dysons at car boot sales. Can't last long unlike my two Miele German machines - the first lasted over twenty years and the current one fifteen - and spares are available........
Not in our case.

We still have an old upright model which still works perfectly, although the new cordless one is lighter and easier to use.

Prior to that, our previous model worked perfectly for years and, when we got the newer upright, we passed that on to the mother-in-law. That was several years ago and it is still working perfectly.

By the way, the Dyson V6 (and V8) cordless models do have replaceable batteries, although I don't know how much they cost.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Doug_J ->
Hello Doug, sorry I've not been it touch sooner but I've been poorly.....

Make sure that you have removed all sixteen screws that attach the clear plastic cover before trying to remove it.

The problem with the wheel is caused by the steel shaft turning inside the plastic housing. It puts too much pressure on the brittle plastic housing and breaks pieces off allowing the wheel to push up into the guard.

The solution is to fix the steel shaft securely to the plastic housing allowing only the wheel to rotate on the steel shaft. I have drilled and tapped the steel shaft (4BA or similar size) and drilled a clearance hole in the plastic cover and then the steel shaft can be secured to the clear plastic cover with a screw as seen here.....

The hexagon allen screw can be situated at the bottom of the recessed square in the cover. Drill the clearance hole in the cover first and mark the steel shaft while in situ...

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top