Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 08:15 PM

Do you find packing and unpacking bothersome?

I'm just out from a 15 day spell in hospital and, although I knew I was going in I couldn't decide what to bring. I started off quite conservatively, 3 different sets of day clothes but that soon wasn't enough.

Then I had to phone a friend to bring me more clothes and take back the old ones to wash.

Tonight, getting out, I had 4 large bags filled with stuff largely which I never used. I haven't bothered unpacking yet, I'm going to leave that until the morning - except the medication because that's important and is one full bag on its own.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 09:36 PM

Re: Do you find packing and unpacking bothersome?

Do you find packing and unpacking bothersome?

I think most people do Ffosse

I hate it when I have been on holiday and my case which was pristine with neatly folded clothes and carefully wrapped items when I left is full of dirty clothes and bits stuffed in chaotically when I return . I never know where to start

As you are not well I would take your time unpacking, just do the essential bits and enjoy being home .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 11:07 PM

Ffosse, Your thread title reminded me of when l was married and we’d go on holiday to Majorca.

Having five children, you can imagine there were lots of clothes to take. What l would do was make six places on the bed for mine and the children’s clothes. My husband always did his own packing as he knew what he wanted to take!

With the six places on the bed, l would deal out the clothes like l was dealing out a pack of cards!
I counted out so many dresses, socks and knickers for the girls in four piles, then a pile of trousers, tops, socks and underpants for my son and then a pile for me!
In the rush, l always forgot something of mine!

Then l would fill suitcases with the piles in order of the child.

Coming home the clothes were just thrown in any way! All ready to be washed!

I hope you’re feeling ok, Ffosse.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Ffosse, Your thread title reminded me of when l was married and we’d go on holiday to Majorca.

Having five children, you can imagine there were lots of clothes to take. What l would do was make six places on the bed for mine and the children’s clothes. My husband always did his own packing as he knew what he wanted to take!

With the six places on the bed, l would deal out the clothes like l was dealing out a pack of cards!
I counted out so many dresses, socks and knickers for the girls in four piles, then a pile of trousers, tops, socks and underpants for my son and then a pile for me!
In the rush, l always forgot something of mine!

Then l would fill suitcases with the piles in order of the child.

Coming home the clothes were just thrown in any way! All ready to be washed!

I hope you’re feeling ok, Ffosse.
That all sounds very organised Art my son and DIL have just taken the 5 children (including 2x 11 month old babies) abroad for the first time, I bet it is chaos as the 2x 8 year old are allowed to do their own packing.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 11:36 PM

Ffosse, my worst nightmares are the ones when I am trying to pack a case because I have a plane to catch and I keep forgetting things and then I find I have not enough room in the case and i'm running out of time and panicking.

One good thing about cabin luggage is that it forces you to travel light. I used to hate it but now I make an art of just packing the essentials that I will most likely wear. I still end up with one of two things that don't see light of day, but at least this way you end up with an easy job unpacking and not so much washing and ironing.

It just makes it clear that we have far too much stuff we don't need. Perhaps it's a good idea for you to have a clear out? Spring cleaning time is here!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 11:54 PM

Oh hate it all!
Whilst Ffosse's situation is obviously different - hope you're okay by the way bud and getting better - it's the going/coming back off holiday that does my head in.
It's a bind. All that washing sandy, salty, sweaty clothing.
I feel like just binning the lot and the suitcase and coming home with just my toothbrush!
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 07:09 AM

Packing is bothersome because of the decisions involved. Especially not knowing what the weather will be like wherever you're going. (Which wouldn't apply so much in hospital.) Unpacking not so bothersome, hardly any decision-making.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 08:25 AM

On the occasions I have gone away, I never go for long, so only take a few items with me.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 08:58 AM

I never bother unpacking until I can't bear falling over the suitcase any more.
As I always go somewhere with a washing machine all the clothles are washed anyway .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
That all sounds very organised Art my son and DIL have just taken the 5 children (including 2x 11 month old babies) abroad for the first time, I bet it is chaos as the 2x 8 year old are allowed to do their own packing.
Yes Meg, l was organised in the method in which l packed but not organised with the time that l did the packing!
It was usually about two hours before we were due to leave!
The reason for this was, if l had packed a while before we were due to go, l would have forgotten what l had packed and would’ve had to pull the whole lot out to check!

I kept a universal list of everything we needed to take. This would come out every time we went away. I was nothing without that list!!

It was worse when the list included bottle steriliser, steriliser, bottle brush, nappies and the kitchen sink!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top