Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 12:24 PM

Nematodes

Oh well, just sent off for the Nematodes for Vine Weevil at last. Apparently I have to use them within a fortnight else they die.

Has anyone else tried these yet?

I'll let you know how it goes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nemasys-vin.../dp/B000VPIJ3O
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 01:08 PM

Re: Nematodes

Good luck Mups, they speak well of nematodes for vine weevils on 'Gardeners Question Time'.

I wondered if vine weevils were responsible for the demise of my tubs of pansies 2 years running ..
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 03:55 PM

I keep meaning to get some to inflict on the poor slugs
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 04:25 PM

I will be interested to see how they work Mups. Are they just for use in enclosed areas such as greenhouses or can they be used outside? What are they? Are they worms?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 05:25 PM

Dongle, have a look at the link I posted above, it explains more about the product and there loads of reviews to see too.

It seems I have to store it in the fridge till I need it.

I wanted to try it because of my Mups compost-eating habit.
I daren't use the pesticides I used before.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Dongle, have a look at the link I posted above, it explains more about the product and there loads of reviews to see too.

It seems I have to store it in the fridge till I need it.

I wanted to try it because of my Mups compost-eating habit.
I daren't use the pesticides I used before.
Thanks. I have looked at those. So it seems there are different treatments for different problems and it is the larvae that are killed. Interesting stuff. Please keep us updated Mupsy.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

28-06-2018, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Thanks. I have looked at those. So it seems there are different treatments for different problems and it is the larvae that are killed. Interesting stuff. Please keep us updated Mupsy.

Will do, Petal.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

30-06-2018, 10:52 PM

Just got the vine weeval nematodes arrive today.
It's only a little packet, not much bigger than a packet of Paracetamol. I've popped it in the fridge for now, as that's what the instructions said.
It has to be used within a fortnight.

I've only glanced at the instructions yet, but it seems you hyave to dissolve the entire contents of the pack in a bucket containing 1.5 litres of water. That makes the 'stock solution.'

You give it a good vigorous stir, and then take out 0.5 litrse of the stock solution, add it to a 5 litre watering can, then fill the can with water.

You cannot store this solution, it all has to be used up in one go.
Apparently it gives protection for up to 6 weeks.

It also says avoid applications when its bright sunlight, so could be a bit difficult to avoid at the moment!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top