Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 12:28 AM

Aphids

I read an interesting short article today on Aphids.

Seems like if we see the start of some on our plants, it's best to act quickly, as I didn't know how quickly they breed.

It seems female aphids (greenfly & blackfly), are capable of virgin births - no males required.

Also, these females can carry developing young, which are themselves already carrying devleoping young also!!

So you can imagine, this increases their population very rapidly.
One 'estimate' reckoned that one aphid could generate 600 billion descendants - in one season!

So keep a sharp look out.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 01:18 AM

Re: Aphids

Aphids breed very quickly and will literally suck all the juice from the new growth on plants.

How I get rid of them is by adding a few drops of liquid soap to a litre of water and spray the entire plant from the bottom up including the underside of leaves. That’s where they breed.

Another way is to spray them off with the garden hose. Usually if you find one then you have an entire nest of them.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 09:16 AM

I just wish they would suck the life from the weeds instead.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I read an interesting short article today on Aphids.

Seems like if we see the start of some on our plants, it's best to act quickly, as I didn't know how quickly they breed.

It seems female aphids (greenfly & blackfly), are capable of virgin births - no males required.

Also, these females can carry developing young, which are themselves already carrying devleoping young also!!

So you can imagine, this increases their population very rapidly.
One 'estimate' reckoned that one aphid could generate 600 billion descendants - in one season!

So keep a sharp look out.
Who counted them? Anything green and crawlie on my roses gets a blast of soapy water...they die clean and smelling of lemon.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I just wish they would suck the life from the weeds instead.
They don’t like weed(s)

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top