Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 02:25 PM

Re: which camera to use

Originally Posted by Missy ->
You learn something new every day - I shall go look, thank you
You’re welcome.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I think you'd benefit from a zoom lens.
compacts have good zooms
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by FridgeMagnet ->
You can get clip on supplementary lenses for iPhones.
Will not improve picture quality, maybe even worse
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Will not improve picture quality, maybe even worse
True. I have some of those - telephoto, wide and macro, if I remember correctly. Never really use them, though, but yes the quality is certainly lower with than without.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 04:36 PM

So what kind of zoom will I need to take a picture of the moon lets say?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

18-07-2018, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
So what kind of zoom will I need to take a picture of the moon lets say?
depends on how close you need to get is the short answer. also depends in which part of the sky the moon is in

This was one I took at 2600mm

But I guess you don't want to go that close. so anything from 200mm lens upwards to get anything decent

This is the lens that took that photo (nikon version)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bower-650...8AAOSweWVXdTBH

if it is the moon you want to photograph then it will be a DSLR and not a compact camera.

Don't get hung up on getting a camera just for the moon shots it will be a waste of money Honest.

before we talk about a camera for moon shots, lets consider how easy it is to get a good photo.

First of all camera wise you have to contend with depth of field, that is how much will be in focus and how much will not.
That is why I took that photo of the moon edge only

Next consideration is how clear is the sky going to be? no problem? wrong oh so wrong. More often than not the moon even on what appears to be a clear night the moon still has a haze around it not seen so much with the naked eye

Ok so lets proceed. That shot was taken late at night in winter when it was freezing cold but oh how clear the sky was and that is what you need to think of.

Are you going to hand hold the camera to take a photo of the moon? won't work it has to be rock steady so a tripod is called for.

OK depth of field- size of lens- clear night- keeping it rock steady, What else?

Oh yes the moon shoots across the sky faster than you think and the closer the photo the faster it gets. That photo I lay in wait for its track across the heaven to get to where the lens was pointing and only one chance of getting it.

Ok photo taken and it looks terrible, why? because light and shade doesn't show up well for the craters on the moon so this is where editing comes into its own ,so you need a reasonable editing suite.

Ok now all that is out of the way in the list I posted earlier are also DSLR cameras . They are either full frame (FF) or have an APS-C sensor, even now mirrorless cameras. Unless you know the difference and what each type does best leave alone.
Easy question but hard to answer so tried my best, but below using a DSLR camera

Hope that is some help

nearest as in video
Nikon D7200 camera body only £849 ( crop sensor type)
Nikon AF-s 55-200mm f4-5.6 VR11 DX lens £213
decent sturdy tripod £50-£100
Memory card SD £50 for 2 (depending in size)

Editing suite Adobe elements 18 =£80

That is just for one lens setup
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

21-07-2018, 07:31 PM

Taken with a 400mm lens
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 08:04 PM

Taken with a 600mm lens

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 08:18 PM

Taken with an Olympus SP-560UZ bridge camera:

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 01:07 AM

I used to lug about a SLR and lenses but decided decades ago that as I was no longer selling photos it was pointless. With digital camera prices plunging I bought a nice compact camera. Now that is all I use for my photos the quality is pretty good and with a wrist strap or slung on my belt it is so easy to carry. The only change I made was to get a newer version about 10 years ago because the original only had VGA video.

Very occasionally I wish a shot had been a bit sharper or I wish I had more control but generally speaking I am very happy with this camera in a little soft case on my belt. When I see people with a bulky DLR camera slung round their neck or/and a camera bag on their shoulder then I know I made the best decision.

BTW I sold the G10 on eBay for over half the cost of the new one which made me a happy bunny.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	140713 017 G10 and G16 Cameras.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	6542  

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top