Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:43 PM

Re: Is It So Wrong Not To Attend A Sister's Funeral?

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
Maybe your sister was grieving and needed a drink. Show a bit of compassion.
No Grav, she had a guilty conscience over something I am not prepared to disclose right now. We were ALL grieving!!!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:49 PM

Gravitas, it sound's like you are unsure, otherwise you wouldn't be asking,..i never went to my mother's funeral,did i feel bad,no i didn't, i had no say in the matter,brother's took over,i wasn't invited, will I go to my brothers funeral, if they die before me,"hell no"!..that's some families for you, ..history!.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:51 PM

Well I don't talk to my Sister any more, after blazing arguments in the Family, but I would still go to the Funeral only because she is still my Sister.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Panda ->
Only really you can decide whether to go or not.
Yes, that's what I was going to say Panda.

Gravitas - if you can live with not going and won't feel guilty for the rest of your days, don't go.

If, for whatever reason, you think you should attend, then go.

Only you know you.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You don't say whether this funeral is forthcoming, or if it has been and gone and you never attended, and now you are thinking about it?
If you have never had contact for 30 years, were you told about her passing, or did you read it somewhere?

When my ex-husband died, I only knew because a friend told me it was in their local paper. I didn't go.

As others have said, many families become estranged, and unless somebody makes the effort to make the first move, that's how things stay forever.

If you feel you may have even a small regret for not going, then there's your answer - Go.
Duty and respect still matter.

But at the end of the day, only you know how you feel.
Mups, l think, Gravitas has made it up and the sister doesn’t even exist!!
He loves to see divisions on the forum!!
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:59 PM

Seeing as I dont know where my sister lives, nor she where I live, it is unlikely either of us would go to the other’s funeral. Mind you, I am not having one, so no-one will have to go, not even my children nor grandsons.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Mups, l think, Gravitas has made it up and the sister doesn’t even exist!!
He loves to see divisions on the forum!!

You are quite possibly right, Art.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 09:05 PM

Blood ties can be a bane as much as a blessing.

Gravitas ...it's your decision and no one else's.
If you don't want to go ... don't go.

To answer your earlier question..
I hated my brother's guts and was glad when he died.
The only way I'd have attended his funeral was to cheer and dance through the sermon ... so I left it for those who would genuinely have missed him and would mourn him. I had no desire to upset them.

I did go however write a goodbye note to him and popped it inside a little velvet bag which I asked the funeral undertakers to pop in his coffin with him. Which they did.
In this .. I told him what I thought of him and cleared the air.
I also rang the crem to request his ashes were buried in the same plot as our mum and dad. He was, afterall, still their son even if he was my disowned brother.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
Even if you've not seen her for 30 years (and little before that as she was so much older) and that was probably at a funeral and you have no contact or liking for her "kids" who wanted her dead anyway for her "inheritance"? .
I'm wondering why there was so little contact over the years...

I don't see that a big age gap need have anything to do with it at all, after all even if she was more your mother's generation you might well still visit from time to time and see your cousins occasionally?

I don't think anyone can judge or advise you really, it's entirely up to you and your own feelings.

Were you never ever the least bit fond of her?

I find this kind of thread unutterably sad.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Blood ties can be a bane as much as a blessing.

Gravitas ...it's your decision and no one else's.
If you don't want to go ... don't go.

To answer your earlier question..
I hated my brother's guts and was glad when he died.
The only way I'd have attended his funeral was to cheer and dance through the sermon ... so I left it for those who would genuinely have missed him and would mourn him. I had no desire to upset them.

I did go however write a goodbye note to him and popped it inside a little velvet bag which I asked the funeral undertakers to pop in his coffin with him. Which they did.
In this .. I told him what I thought of him and cleared the air.
I also rang the crem to request his ashes were buried in the same plot as our mum and dad. He was, afterall, still their son even if he was my disowned brother.
that was a very selfless thing to do Mort x

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top