Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 09:27 AM

Lazy thread openings

I have noticed that it seems to be becoming more common on here to start a new thread with just some brief, non descriptive comment and a link to somewhere else.

Personally I hate it, and my thoughts are that if the thread starter can't be bothered to write a description or their argument as well as posting the link then I really can't be bothered to open it and reply.

Possibly of course that it's just me being a grumpy old so and so, but what do you others think?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 09:36 AM

Re: Lazy thread openings

Barry, you are not alone, I ignore any new thread where a link is posted with no understandable explanation of what it is about ... we are not mind readers.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I have noticed that it seems to be becoming more common on here to start a new thread with just some brief, non descriptive comment and a link to somewhere else.

Personally I hate it, and my thoughts are that if the thread starter can't be bothered to write a description or their argument as well as posting the link then I really can't be bothered to open it and reply.

Possibly of course that it's just me being a grumpy old so and so, but what do you others think?
Barry, your a grumpy old so and so. 😀😀😀

No actually I agree with you. Posters want to bring things to our attention but a few descriptive lines would help to see if the reader wants to know more more.

Then again my post do seem to drone on a bit.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 09:39 AM

Me too,and Folk who start a thread then don't bother to post or comment on it Themselves.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 09:57 AM

Fully agree with Barry, this habit is quite annoying and shows how lazy the thread starter is.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 10:13 AM

It's hard to generalize, but sometimes it may be quality, not quantity.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 10:57 AM

Hi

I do try, but often think I could do better.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 10:59 AM

Its usually possible to tell who the poster is just by the thread title ...I usually avoid even clicking on ones I suspect of being just a link with little else to go on.
But having said that each poster has their own way of posting which is what makes a forum interesting and varied...
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Its usually possible to tell who the poster is just by the thread title ...I usually avoid even clicking on ones I suspect of being just a link with little else to go on.
But having said that each poster has their own way of posting which is what makes a forum interesting and varied...
Aye,that's true Aysa..I'm guilty of not starting many threads, so if Everyone was like Me there would be no Forum..so maybe We should congratulate the thread starters regardless of how They choose to do it.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 11:09 AM

To me it seems as though the poster has either no understanding of the subject or not that much interest in it, otherwise they would surely write more about it to inform, amuse, or put an argument forward regarding it to the viewer of the OP.
I am just bemused as to why, if they wish to engage in a conversation that they wouldn't...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top