Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 11:08 PM

Re: Cliff Richard v BBC

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm just thinking back to Rachel Nickell's murder, which was about 25 years ago. I still remember the name of the man wrongly accused after all these years but cannot remember the name of the real murderer.

I'm not suggesting the police shouldn't have raided his house if they thought there would be evidence but I don't think it was anything to do with the BBC at that point in time.
I understand your point of view too Dongy
But unfortunately it was that "don't go there" mentality that let the likes of Saville get away with what he did for so long
If they're in the public eye anyway...then any news becomes sensationalist news

My worry is that the man "Doth protest too much"
Another thing that sat uncomfortably with me was when he said in the interview "i used to use the tunnel between centre and first court in Wimbledon for years but now I don't because it goes past the boys' changing rooms"

Did any of us know it was young boys he had allegedly targeted? I didn't...
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 11:34 PM

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone
I know he is well liked
And a renowned Christian man

But he is famous...
And the police hsve a job to do
He'd have come across a lot better by just saying something along the lines of...obviously a mix up or a false allegation...let the police do their job...I've nothing to hide...etc etc
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I know he is well liked

But he is famous...
He'd have come across a lot better by just saying something along the lines of...obviously a mix up or a false allegation...let the police do their job...I've nothing to hide...etc etc
You are saying what a lot of people are thinking rhi
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 11:53 PM

What happened was, that "there wasn't enough evidence to convict him of any thing"
In the snippet I saw of the interview on the news...he was openly saying that, which I found quite bizarre
If he's entirely innocent shouldn't he be saying
"They obviously weren't going to find ANY evidence" not
"The police stated that there wasn't enough evidence to convict me"
Not "convict" but "charge":

Just over a month after receiving a file of evidence from police on the singer, lawyers for the CPS said on Thursday that there was insufficient evidence from the police investigation to charge Richard and no further action should be taken against him.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...l-abuse-claims

The CPS "charge" and a court may "convict" after a trial.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

18-07-2018, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Not "convict" but "charge":

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...l-abuse-claims

The CPS "charge" and a court will "convict" after a trial.
Quite right Omah..
And thank you

Edited to add: Oh the beauty of the Edit button
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Sir Cliff Richard has won his privacy case against the BBC over its coverage of a police raid on his home.

High Court judge Mr Justice Mann awarded an initial £210,000 in damages.

The singer claimed the BBC's reporting of the 2014 raid, which was part of an investigation into historical child sex allegations, was a "serious invasion" of privacy. He was never arrested or charged.

The BBC said journalists acted in good faith and it is considering an appeal.

The judge said the BBC had infringed Sir Cliff's privacy rights in a "serious" and "sensationalist" way.

Congrat's to Sir Cliff.
pity ya couldn't included 'Sir' in your title!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 12:38 AM

Quite right Omah..
And thank you

Edited to add: Oh the beauty of the Edit button
I owe my interest in the law to "Crown Court", "Rumpole of the Bailey" and a period of jury service .....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 08:56 AM

I doubt anyone dubbed a "national treasure" these days
That's Saville's legacy for me

And he wasn't found innocent of anything Floydy...
What happened was, that "there wasn't enough evidence to charge him with any thing"
In the snippet I saw of the interview on the news...he was openly saying that, which I found quite bizarre
If he's entirely innocent shouldn't he be saying
"They obviously weren't going to find ANY evidence" not
"The police stated that there wasn't enough evidence to charge me"
Why not?
Innocent people don't have scripts to follow they just say things .
They don't weigh every word .
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 09:16 AM

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this case I doubt if there is anyone who cannot deny that the media has now become far to invasive purely for money.

Regardless of who or what it is or how much harm it causes, a so called story line is now 'done to death' on the pretence of it being in the publics interest.

Sensasionlised news carries the risk of being exposed for just being that and hopefully the media will take note and adjust the way it reports and carries out stories in future.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 09:17 AM

I know he is well liked

But he is famous...
You certainly haven't offended me Rhian. I am not a Cliff fan at all but as you may have noticed, I am not a fan of the BBC either .

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top