Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 06:52 PM

Street lighting for free!!

Probably get shot down for this but i just cannot understand why street lighting isn't free as i would say its a very important safety matter. The big electric companies should squash all charges for street lighting, after all they could afford it the money they make from Joe public.
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 07:08 PM

Re: Street lighting for free!!

Erm.... because it would reduce their profits
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 07:28 PM

Profits should not come before safety. But it will it always does.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 07:30 PM

We have two street lights in the whole village so it wouldn't cost them much here
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 07:38 PM

We dont have any street lights here where I liveits in total countryside and very rural
The local town though has streetlights but I dont think they need half of them,I think they could do away with half of them altogether. Theres so much light pollution in towns and cities you can see the "glow " from miles away.
But I can see that theyre very good for safety reasons just that I think theres far too many of them,I mean for instance down main roads theyre all the way along the edge well why? these dont need to be there.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 08:34 PM

The street lights in our county have been replaced with what I believe are mostly LED lights, although I read that the type of lighting used can vary in different places. It's all radio controlled too and can be turned on, off or dimmed/brightened at varying times of the evening or night via VHF radio signals.

All this gives a worthwhile saving of energy, which subsequently means running costs are lower. Far fewer watts of electricity are needed to run the system, meaning less of the carbon pollution that generating electricity can produce.

That's probably as good as it will get. Not free but less expensive than it would have been if the lamps hadn't been changed.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 10:20 PM

Yours sound the same as the ones they are installing round here Mart. They are able to dim them or turn them off at will. I understand they are not going to leave them on all night though.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 10:32 PM

Educate me. In Pommieland, is there some direct charge to residents for street-lighting ?

Here in my part of Aus, local councils decide on the location of lights - usually in consultation with nearby residents.
Council then pays the electricity-provider as part of their total electricity bill for libraries, offices, sporting venues, carparks and so on.

Ultimately, of course, the ratepayers do pay as part of their general rate.
But there is no direct, identifiable charge.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Educate me. In Pommieland, is there some direct charge to residents for street-lighting ?

Here in my part of Aus, local councils decide on the location of lights - usually in consultation with nearby residents.
Council then pays the electricity-provider as part of their total electricity bill for libraries, offices, sporting venues, carparks and so on.

Ultimately, of course, the ratepayers do pay as part of their general rate.
But there is no direct, identifiable charge.
Hi PS there is no separate charge for street lighting it is part of 'Council Tax' .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 11:24 PM

Hi

Yes, it is part of Council Tax, but in order to save money Councils are starting to turn them off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top