Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2020, 03:32 AM

Those Damn Yank Cops

I am watching and enjoying Fargo - the series, not the film (which was good too).

The one thing that confuses the hell out of me is the cops and who they belong to.

There are the cops or rather "the Police Department", then there are the State Troopers and then adding another level of complexity there is a US Marshall. All apparently operating in the same place but having nothing to do with each other.

It is like the wild west. Can someone explain who they all are and why they seem to hate each other?

BTW Minnesota looks a bleak, cold place to live.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2020, 04:07 AM

Re: Those Damn Yank Cops

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I am watching and enjoying Fargo - the series, not the film (which was good too).

The one thing that confuses the hell out of me is the cops and who they belong to.

There are the cops or rather "the Police Department", then there are the State Troopers and then adding another level of complexity there is a US Marshall. All apparently operating in the same place but having nothing to do with each other.

It is like the wild west. Can someone explain who they all are and why they seem to hate each other?

BTW Minnesota looks a bleak, cold place to live.
Actually quite simple.
1st, there are the local cops , employees of the town/city. They have jurisdiction ONLY within that town/city.

2nd, as the name implies, State Troopers are employees of the state. They have jurisdiction anywhere in the state. state Troopers (nicknamed 'staties') patrol the highways of the state that employs them. You are most likely to run into them when they pull you over for a traffic ticket.

Finally, you have U.S. Marshalls, who have jurisdiction anywhere within the United States. The U.S. Marshalls usually transport FEDERAL prisoners to and from prison to the court. However, during the court proceedings, those Federal defendants sometimes make and jump bail. Now, the U.S Marshalls really bring out the heavyweights. The last thing anyone wants is to have teams of U.S. Marshalls after them. It would NOT be unusual for a bad guy to have 15-30 guys working full-time to catch just them.

The lowest level are the town/city cops. They have the least training and knowledge of the law. If you can read, write and correctly add 2+2, then you probably qualify to be a local cop. Many morons work for the local town/city. Seriously !

The 'staties' are much, much more professional and generally have a higher level of education/I.Q.

The U.S Marshalls are truly an awesome bunch. Real heavyweights.

Finally, you have the F.B.I. You must be an attorney to be hired by the F.B.I. The FBI work anywhere within the U.S. as investigative agency, but concern themselves with Federal crimes ONLY. However, they also work on an international scale, working hand in hand with Interpol, Scotland Yard etc.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2020, 04:08 AM

This might help Bruce.

https://www.whatsthediff.org/blog/20...state-trooper/

I've lived in California (San FRancsico) and New Jersey. The only police I saw in San Francisco were the SFPD. SF is a city and a county. Sherriffs usually work for the county whereas police work for the city. I lived in New Jersey and the only cops I saw there were the highway patrol. Across the river in New York, the NYPD reigns supreme. I never saw a sherriff there.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2020, 08:28 AM

Thanks for that you two, at least it makes some sense now. I forgot about the Sheriffs.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2020, 11:41 AM

What an interesting thread, thanks everyone, I never knew any of that, only what I've seen on telly....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top