Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 06:24 PM

Re: Do we ever know ourselves as others see us?

Originally Posted by Willow ->
Yep I'm very intriguing.
Hot on the heels of the annoying words/phrases thread: LOL
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 06:33 PM

If we think we'll never know how others see us, where do actors stand, is it any wonder their marriages never last. I have to sympathise with the character actors lord help them, in and out of different lives, one week a villain the next a saint, another week a beggar then a millionaire. They do this for a living and are very good at it, but still they never really see themselves as other do, If you said to one of them "I saw you in Midsomer Murders last week, you were the barman, I thought you were great." Now the poor actor is more confused than ever, thousands will remember him as a barman or whatever, so people will see him in many guises depending on which one they liked best and stayed in their memory, he begins to ask himself "Who am I really?"
I'm off to the bathroom mirror now as I'm getting a little confused, I will repeat several times "Are you talkin' ta me?"
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 07:43 PM

Yea and what about the ventriloquist Jem - all those different characters...
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2013, 05:36 AM

I think it's pretty obvious that others don't see us as we see ourselves. You only have to think of the times someone ells you that you've got a habit that you didn't kmow you had, or use a saying or phrase that annoys other people and you hadn't even realised you were using.

And different people see you differently from others. What annoys someone who lives at close quarters with you probably won't annoy someone who doesn't. My mother tells me I am cold and unfeeling - what I am in my opinion is sensible and unwilling to wallow in misery and negativity as she does. And how many times do our partners tell us we are like our mother or father and we adamantly deny it.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2013, 11:35 AM

That's very true Jean. I think I'm prefect it's everyone else who have faults
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

19-02-2013, 11:54 AM

I think it is important not to take oneself too seriously, and have the ability to laugh at yourself too.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2013, 04:58 PM

The simple answer is NO.

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top