Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 10:27 AM

Tia

Had a worry at the weekend chap in caravan in the end plot had a funny turn recognised from when Steven had a stroke the signs of a TIA, got him to hospital and all seemed well when we came home last night, but made me wonder how many people have them without realising as he was surprised when we said he must go to the hospital and seems it wasn't the first he suffered recently.

Big campaigns about strokes as is right but not much about TIAs which could precede a stroke and should be taken seriously I believe.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 10:32 AM

Re: Tia

I have just been reading up about this Julie. It is certainly a worry as I am sure a lot of people have them and do not realise it has certainly made me think.

I know there have been lots of adverts about strokes in recent years but we all still think it wont happen to us.

That was quick thinking on your part and good that you were there to advise.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 01:38 PM

Just been reading about TIA, not heard of it before, scary stuff, lucky you were able to help, Julie.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 01:45 PM

Well done to you.
If anybody feels unwell suddenly tell someone, and if you think it might be heart attack chew a 100mg aspirin, unless of course you are allergic to aspirin, but make sure you tell someone you have done this..and ask your GP if this is OK.

https://www.verywell.com/why-take-an...attack-1746028

Edit :----- just called in my chemist to get some larger aspirin and I told them what I wanted them for and he gave me 300mg dispersible aspirin to chew in case, 60p a packet worth every penny if I ever have to use one,
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Well done to you.
If anybody feels unwell suddenly tell someone, and if you think it might be stroke or heart chew a 100mg aspirin, unless of course you are allergic to aspirin, but make sure you tell someone you have done this..and ask your GP if this is OK.

https://www.verywell.com/why-take-an...attack-1746028

Edit :----- just called in my chemist to get some larger aspirin and I told them what I wanted them for and he gave me 300mg dispersible aspirin to chew in case, 60p a packet worth every penny if I ever have to use one,
Please, Wrinkly, do not give medical advice unless you are sure of the facts.

Absolutely do NOT take aspirin if you think you are having a stroke!! It is true that it is advised for a heart attack but depending on the cause of the stroke it could make things worse.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 04:01 PM

I did say ;and ask your GP if this is OK. I have removed stroke from my posting.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Had a worry at the weekend chap in caravan in the end plot had a funny turn recognised from when Steven had a stroke the signs of a TIA, got him to hospital and all seemed well when we came home last night, but made me wonder how many people have them without realising as he was surprised when we said he must go to the hospital and seems it wasn't the first he suffered recently.

Big campaigns about strokes as is right but not much about TIAs which could precede a stroke and should be taken seriously I believe.

I agree with you Julie. I remember it happening to my Dad.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

Well done Julie....awareness and quick thinking on your part.

TIA is caused by a clot; the only difference between a stroke and TIA is that with TIA the blockage is transient (temporary). TIA symptoms occur rapidly and last a relatively short time, most TIAs last less than five minutes; the average is about a minute.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 08:01 PM

Well done Julie ... it's a good thing you were around at the time 😊
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 08:05 PM

Thanks but I can't claim any fame I just did what I hope anyone would do, I know when my husband had his stroke we were very lucky and the receptionist at the local surgery was very quick acting so saved him having too many problems recovering.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top