Join for free
Page 118 of 190 « First < 18 68 108 116 117 118 119 120 128 168 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2017, 12:16 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

It's been a 'Hard Day's Night' and Mrs Fox has had me 'Working Like a Dog'.... Well that's not strictly true, I'm the sort of person who, if there are things to be done, likes to get 'Stuck in' unfortunately, sometimes the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak.......But I am a hard taskmaster on myself.....

Anyway, I became aware of some disturbing information yesterday. I was going to do a blog on the things that have motivated me during my time as a runner. Two of my all time heroes are James E Fixx and Ron Hill. In my early days of running I bought Jim's book (The Complete Runner) he went on to describe life as a runner, the benefits etc. Although the book wasn't the reason that I became a runner (A story for another day) it certainly motivated me throughout the years, even today.

Jim died of a Heart Attack at fifty seven while out on a run, his body was found at the side of the road. He ran ten miles every day. I knew about Jim's Heart Attack, and how he had an underlying heart problem, so I guess it was inevitable. But my other hero, Ron Hill, holds a world record for the longest unbroken spell of running, he has run at least one mile every day of his life since sometime in the sixties to the present day.

So I googled Ron and found that earlier this year he has had to end his attempt due to Heart Trouble, and I'm gutted!......I will post more details later.....But there seems to be a pattern emerging here, with long distance runners and dodgy tickers....

As you can see, there are some well thumbed pages in this excellent book.....Well thumbed......A bit like me really....

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2017, 11:30 PM

Ron Hill.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-38810882
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

02-12-2017, 10:57 PM

Jeez it's cold down here and a bit neglected.......

So it's my last long run (ten miles) of the season tomorrow morning, the snows all gone so the canal bank should be nice and firm, and it's a good weather forecast. Going on a shopping expedition to Norwich on Monday for three days with Mrs Fox and some friends so I thought I'd give running a rest until Friday. But It won't hurt to pack my running kit just in case....

I've decided that with the possible bad weather and dark mornings that December, January and February can bring I'll reduce my running to a couple of sixes through the week and an eight on Sunday. I'm out of here now, laters.....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 11:26 PM

Good luck with your run tomorrow, Bob.... hope the weather will be good for you
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 02:41 PM

Just popped in to say hello.
I will have to get my running shoes out to join in.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 04:49 PM

Enjoy your break Foxy, I reckon if the weather’s anything like, you’ll be putting them shorts on and having a bit of a run!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

03-12-2017, 08:13 PM

Good to see you here Sweetie Pie pull up a chair and I'll put t' kettle on.......Fancy a Biscuit?.......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

03-12-2017, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Good luck with your run tomorrow, Bob.... hope the weather will be good for you
Originally Posted by Val J ->
Enjoy your break Foxy, I reckon if the weather’s anything like, you’ll be putting them shorts on and having a bit of a run!
Had a spot of bother this morning Mags and Val. The run I was looking forward to was a non starter I'm afraid after being woken up in the night with an inflamed and swollen big toe joint. I've had trouble with that joint before but it's never stopped me running. I set off up the road, but even after just two hundred yards I realised that it was not going to go away and had to return home disappointed.

I'm not too concerned at this stage because the swelling has reduced through the day and with going away for three days, I've decided to give it a rest. So It's business as usual on Friday......
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 08:46 PM

That was bad luck, Bob.... just as well you stopped when you did or you may have made your toe worse. I’m glad it improved throughout the day.

Enjoy your break away
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

03-12-2017, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
That was bad luck, Bob.... just as well you stopped when you did or you may have made your toe worse. I’m glad it improved throughout the day.

Enjoy your break away
Thanks Mags, it's the first Sunday run I've missed this year and it doesn't feel natural... You're probably right though Mags, no point in making it worse when I'm not training for anything special.
Anyway, I've just finished packing my string vest and ripped jeans but can't seen to find my sneakers, so I'll go in my slippers and buy some shoes when I get there.

My toe seems so much better tonight and after thinking about it, I remember slipping on some ice on Friday and stubbed that toe. I can't understand why it didn't bother me yesterday though....

It's free Wi Fi in the hotel so I'll take my netbook and report on our progress. Bye for now....

Page 118 of 190 « First < 18 68 108 116 117 118 119 120 128 168 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top