Join for free
Page 16 of 190 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 116 > Last »
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 09:11 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Robert, you are indeed a great thinker. Lots of wisdom lies in that there brain of yours! Apparently, if you stop smoking, then after so many years it's almost as if you've never smoked. So don't be too harsh on yourself young man! Some folk are puffing at fags in their 90's.

With regards to the comment about stopping meds. Certain meds can be stopped of your own accord You don't HAVE to take them. They're not life threatening meds. So you have the choice. Helps if you work in a hospital like I do and you have pharmacists working at the same desk as you So handy.

Some people like to mollycoddle themselves if they've had a heart attack. The totally wrong thing to do. But sort of undertanding in some cases. You are wise Robert that you know exercise actually helps the heart.

Looking forward to more of your bits Robert!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 09:18 PM

Thanks Myra, appreciate your support and nice comments. More bits on the way....
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 11:11 PM

It's not all down to smoking Rob, that is a factor and a significant one, but I believe that the genes you inherit or rather the combination of them is probably the most important thing. You can inherit a combination which is not great even if your parents didn't have heart disease or not diagnosed anyway.

You know how some people can smoke and drink and have an unhealthy lifestyle and live to be in their 90's and are never ill, lucky gene combination.

If you have a tendency to build up plaques in the blood vessels it does make a big difference, it's one of the reasons why statins are so widely used in order to help prevent the plaques building up.

We all have some degree of furring up of the arteries etc but some more than others and when bits break off that's when it can cause lots of trouble.

Staying at a healthy weight and staying fit are important and also staying away from processed food, quitting smoking and of course exercise helps.

I think that being an anxious easily stressed person is also a risk factor for heart disease.

Anyway you can't do more than you're doing at present, there are plenty of fools out there but I don't think you need to count yourself among them.
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
We all have some degree of furring up of the arteries etc but some more than others and when bits break off that's when it can cause lots of trouble.
.................................................. ..................................
Oh no! we can't have OGF's bits breaking off!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Anzac ->
Oh no! we can't have OGF's bits breaking off!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

13-03-2015, 10:58 AM

Morning all. Sorry for discussing your bits Robert!

It's a nice morning here so far. I'll be off to lovely Ayrshire in the afternoon. We have a planned walk on 9th May from Mauchline to Catrine via the River Ayr. Followed by a BBQ at my partner's home. You'll know that area FF? We'll get a recce in soon. Last year we did Catrine, via Sorn, then back to Catrine. 29 of us. It was a great day, apart from the owners of Sorn Castle forgetting their promise to leave the gates open for us. Resulting in 29 of us being seen on CCTV climbing the gates! What a great day that was. Although I can't say the extremely steep climb up a mucky, bracken covered hill, nose to the next persons butt, was a particularly nice experience. If someone fell then a domino effect would have taken place. We had a laugh at the top and Lynn said "I feel as though I've been dragged through a hedge backwards - no, wait a minute, I have actually been dragged through a hedge backwards"! I looked like Worzel Gummidge at the top. Ripped trousers, mucky feet, wet hair like rat's tails. Who said rambling was easy? It was great though
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 11:34 AM

I am quite familiar with that area Myra, my paternal family were from around Tarbolton, Stair, Mauchline and I'm only a few minutes away from either. There were mainly farmers so although I only have one cousin left in a Mauchline, her late hubby was a local vet. If you (or anyone else) is in the Galston, Ayrshire area and would like to see inside 12thc partly ruinous Loudoun Kirk, just let me know, it's also included in the annual walkfest in the Irvine Valley in May, (15-17th) I don't think the programme hasn't been released yet. http://www.ivrp.org.uk/ They are guided walks of varying lengths. If you haven't been you can check out some of the programmes of previous years if interested.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

13-03-2015, 12:00 PM

FF thanks for sharing that. I'll definitely keep it in mind. I, too, have had ancestors in Mauchline, so I take a particular interest in it. I love the fact that Robert Burns children, partner and friend are buried in the cemetary there. Such an interesting place. Although I hear that Burns local pub Poosy Nancies is going to be knocked down, which is sad to hear. After all these years. It will still also have it's regulars. Yes, there are some beautiful places in Ayrshire.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 12:11 PM

[QUOTE=Anita;624128]It's not all down to smoking Rob, that is a factor and a significant one, but I believe that the genes you inherit or rather the combination of them is probably the most important thing. You can inherit a combination which is not great even if your parents didn't have heart disease or not diagnosed anyway.

That is very disturbing news; following your post Anita I did some research, and found that Dad had his first Heart Attack in his Fifties. It was followed by another HA and a couple of strokes. [that finally saw him off]
It would appear that Dad and Me have been dealt a poor hand of cards, and whatever I do will not alter the inevitable. Could Cholesterol be OldGreyFox's version of Green Kryptonite? Am I to be relegated to a life of hospital waiting rooms and blood tests?
I must retreat now and re-evaluate my future prospects.......
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 05:20 PM

Just logged in and the first thing I saw was the legs of Mr Fox!! Phew!

My gran always used to say ignorance is bliss! With regard to things like inherited genes I inclined to agree! I also tend to think that stress is a factor in lots of ailments so trying not to worry too much about any of it is really important.

Page 16 of 190 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 116 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top