Join for free
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 03:13 PM

Different Surgery's, Different Rules. Why.?

Last month I had this almighty stinging from under my arm pit.
It was a bright red skin tag, I have about 6 all told between both arms and a few diddy ones on the back of my neck.
Anyways goes to the GP and ask's can they be removed. She looks and says she will message the nurse who will call me.
A week ago I get a call can I come into the surgery to have the tag removed.
Tag I say are you not going to remove the other 5 because the one that was stinging as now dropped off.
Oh no the nurse replied the doc as only stated that we remove the one that was stinging.?????

My daughter had a few tags about 6 months ago she went to our old doctors who she is still under in Wallworth SE London and the nurse removed all hers, just snipped them off. That was on her way out no appointment required.

Why is there different rules about treating these things.
Apparently it is now under Cosmetic Surgery so each clinic as its own way of approaching this.
The fact that I was going to have just one tag removed out of 6.
The mind boggles.
I would snip them off myself if I could get to the little bleeders and of course have a sharp enough pair of scissors.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 05:13 PM

Re: Different Surgery's, Different Rules. Why.?

It's no longer a national service each surgery works as a separate entity, prioritising different things.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 03:01 PM

I had about 5 on my neck and went to my GP, who there and then got the Liquid Nitrogen out and did all 5.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 03:15 PM

I wouldn't mind betting this is just the sort of thing the GP's will start charging for soon.

I'd be careful about cutting them off yourself, Bigfellow, I might be wrong, but I thought they can bleed?
I'd have thought the same as Susie said - liquid nitrogen.

See if this i any help.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/skin-ta...roduction.aspx
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 09:47 PM

If you can reach them tie a bit of dental floss around them they will fall off in a couple of days.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 10:10 PM

My son has been to the docs this very day about skin tags.
The doc will remove them - if my son goes back in 6 weeks time!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2017, 08:13 AM

It sounds more like the the nurse didn't want to rather than the surgery has a policy not to. GPs have always been private contractors, so you won't have a uniform service or approach. But it could have been that the nurse was just having a bad day. Just go back and speak to the doctor about the tags and say you would like them removed if possible.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2017, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
If you can reach them tie a bit of dental floss around them they will fall off in a couple of days.
That's what we always do Muddy.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2017, 08:20 AM

Thanks guys I have in the past tied off a couple that I could reach and yes it did work out ok but these are in awkward places on my neck or under my armpits.
Has for the nurse having a bad day or asking the doc again,I am afraid under this cosmetic surgery they are not an immeadiate problem so there is no emergency and as I said ealier by the time they get around to removing them the tags have fallen off anyways..lol Its an evil circle I am afraid.
Never mind such is life,but I will look into the nitrogen thanks again.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top