Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2012, 12:07 AM

Migraines

Do you suffer from migraines? What triggers it and what do you do to cure it?

I get one usually about once a month, my last one made me quite ill. Over counter meds are useless and the only remedy is to lay down in a darkened room and sleep it off.

Sometimes I get visual distrubances, usually about an hour before onset of pain. The disturbance is a total blurring of central vision, then it migrates to the periphery giving the 'tunnel vision' effect before dispersing.

I don't know what my specific triggers are, but I suspect overdose of caffine, stress, high blood sugar levels after eating, possibly mixed with general tiredness can set it off. Most of my migraines can last from about 2-3 hours and can go on for up to 12 hours, with still feeling a faint aftermath for the next day or so.
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2012, 12:18 AM

Re: Migraines

i have suffered for many years now, and tried meds but nothing works.

it runs in my family, my sister is so ill when she get a migraine
she is sick, cannot see, or control her limbs, her fingers go into spasms and she has been rushed to hospital several times.

The only thing that works for me is a dark room, sleep as soon as possible, also a fan on my face while in bed helps a great deal.

I can last up to 2/3 days if i don't sleep it off
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2012, 12:29 AM

Hi Graham I used to get terrible Migraine with the same kind of symptoms you have. It was a nightmare.
It wasn't until I reached the menopause and the Migraines stopped that I realised the cause of my problem had been hormonal, something never suggested by my Doctor.

There was one medication which used to help, it was called Migril , it is prescription only medication and should be taken with care. It is not a painkiller and can have side effects.
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/aches-and...es/migril.html
If I took a tablet at the first signs of an attack and lay down for a bit I could often stop it developing.

I first heard about it from a pharmacist, I was talking to him about my Migraine and he said his wife was a sufferer and she took Migril. So I asked my Doctor about it,obtained a prescription and I took it for many years.
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2012, 12:39 AM

funny you should mention the menopause meg i am in my early 40s and have no sign of it happening yet, my GP said the problem could improve later in life but didn't offer any help.

I do find that stress is a trigger for me
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2012, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Kitty ->
funny you should mention the menopause meg i am in my early 40s and have no sign of it happening yet, my GP said the problem could improve later in life but didn't offer any help.

I do find that stress is a trigger for me
Kitty I was cross my Doctor never mentioned hormones, the Migraines stopped overnight but I then had 10 years of hot sweats instead and on waking up an awful tingling feeling that spread through my body leaving me shaky and feeling weak.
I was so relieved to be free of Migraine though
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2012, 12:50 AM

I've never had migraine and I'm not a doctor so can give no medical solution but, Graham, if you suspect certain things that trigger it, have you tried at least to lower your caffeine intake for starters for example?

I don't even get headaches, never mind migraines, but I am assured that they are extremely painful and, if I did get an ordinary headache, I'd panic.

Having read the symptoms here it sounds absolutely horrendous.

Kitty's our resident nurse here and she gets it, but have you seen your doctor, Graham? I'd think that would be the first port of call. Don't know if an MRI scan would help.
Kitty
London

20-01-2012, 12:53 AM

meg i have hot sweats, and had the blood tests, but no sign of any problems so far.

Glad your not suffering anymore its a nightmare, and Graham
not to exclude you its terrible how it can effect you, its nothing like a normal headache
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2012, 01:56 AM

I have suffered from migraines since my teens. I take Maxalt melt for them at the moment which are on prescription and are fantastic they work with in an hour usually. I used to take Zomig which is one of the triptans, there is also sumatriptan or naramig, they are also really good but I got used to them and they stopped working. Mine got really bad at the beginning of last year and I was having 18 days of the month with a migraine so I went to see a neurologist who put me on Topirimate as a preventative which is an epilepsy medication. It is working quite well and has cut them down to about 8-10 a month.

Mine are caused mainly by sleep disruption due to working nights and by smells like perfumes, air fresheners etc, alcohol and take away food because of the additives also give me them.

I used to take migril years ago until I heard of a lady who had to have a leg amputated due to over use. They worked by narrowing the veins or arteries and she over used them and they closed the veins in her toes and caused gangrene in her feet and she ended up having her leg or legs amputated. My sisters doctor told her because she used to take them too.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2012, 10:24 AM

I also used to suffer from migraines. But over the last few years I now only get very bad headaches.
Whilst i was in the throes of a migraine, it was like my head was going to explode, i couldnt lie down, sit up, I felt very sick, tablets didnt work, but i learnt that if i just laid still blocking as much light out as possible and got my heart rate down it was bearable and i then fell asleep. The after effects of the migraine lasted a few days, but fingers crossed i am glad i dont get them any longer.
I couldnt put mine down to too much caffeine or chocolate as i didnt have very much of either, and no one else in my family suffered from them.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

20-01-2012, 01:05 PM

Hi Graham,
The first port of call should of course be your GP but I guess from what you say that you have already seen someone about them.

A repeat visit might be worthwhile as even raised blood pressure and stress can trigger an attack. It is commonly accepted that consuming caffeine, chocolate and red wine may trigger an episode but I don't think in all honesty that there is 100% proof of this.

Your doctor may decide to try something other than Zolmitriptan (Zomig) or an other Triptan based drug before referring you to a neurologist.
A lot of success has been seen using Amitriptyline, which is a tricyclic antidepressant. I know by the very term 'antidepressant' people immediately look horror struck but they are used these days for a variety of things and if it works for you why on earth not.

Don't suffer if you can avoid it, go seek proper help.

Good luck
George.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top