Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 08:09 PM

Re: I need some help from those with knowledge!

Originally Posted by Conroy ->
Isolating a device for electronic component failure analysis starts by forming a plan of action, this will make your problem source easy. Given a specific failure mode, there are a limited number of possible explanations; by determining which of these is the most plausible, you may begin to put together a theory that will help to limit the number of possible failing components. Board layouts and schematics are invaluable at this point – by allowing you to see the hidden connections between devices, they enable a more straightforward determination of where a problem may exist. Once you have developed a reasonably solid idea of where the defect may exist, the project can progress from the planning stages into action.
In order to prove your theory, you must be able to provide concrete electrical data pinpointing the failing component. In order to accomplish this, it is often necessary to “modify” the failing circuit in order to narrow down the location of the failure. This process may be as simple as removing components from the board and checking to see if the reported failure is still present; in more complex cases, it may be necessary to carefully cut traces on a board in order to isolate a device from other parts of the circuit. Immediately following every circuit modification, additional electrical testing is necessary to determine whether the correct component has been identified; once the failing device has been found, failure analysis of the individual electronic component can begin

So there you go Twink, problem solved.
Conroy
Surrey .uk
Conroy is male  Conroy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
Now here is someone with the knowledge Art.
I hope you were listening!
I blame "Pans People", they should never have been allowed on television
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 09:31 PM

Like BC says Twink, make sure you always turn off your TV from the wall socket.......I never go to bed without either unplugging or turning off at the wall socket ALL electrical items including chargers. As much to alleviate the fire risk as anything else.....Sleep tight and sake Twink....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 10:01 PM

hi Twink!

What's the make & Model of the TV?

Should be able to scan the web, for you, and see if it's a known problem.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Conroy ->
Isolating a device for electronic component failure analysis starts by forming a plan of action, this will make your problem source easy. Given a specific failure mode, there are a limited number of possible explanations; by determining which of these is the most plausible, you may begin to put together a theory that will help to limit the number of possible failing components. Board layouts and schematics are invaluable at this point – by allowing you to see the hidden connections between devices, they enable a more straightforward determination of where a problem may exist. Once you have developed a reasonably solid idea of where the defect may exist, the project can progress from the planning stages into action.
In order to prove your theory, you must be able to provide concrete electrical data pinpointing the failing component. In order to accomplish this, it is often necessary to “modify” the failing circuit in order to narrow down the location of the failure. This process may be as simple as removing components from the board and checking to see if the reported failure is still present; in more complex cases, it may be necessary to carefully cut traces on a board in order to isolate a device from other parts of the circuit. Immediately following every circuit modification, additional electrical testing is necessary to determine whether the correct component has been identified; once the failing device has been found, failure analysis of the individual electronic component can begin
This bloke largely agrees with you:

http://www.ial-fa.com/blog/electroni...ective-devices
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
This bloke largely agrees with you:

http://www.ial-fa.com/blog/electroni...ective-devices
Indeed, agreement is almost identical .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 08:22 AM

Hi Twink

I hope you had a peaceful night last night. A few years ago, I had a spell where my tv would turn itself on in the middle of the night, it also happened with my stereo. I was told that it could have a build up of cat hairs arcing the switch.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Hi Twink

I hope you had a peaceful night last night. A few years ago, I had a spell where my tv would turn itself on in the middle of the night, it also happened with my stereo. I was told that it could have a build up of cat hairs arcing the switch.
There is no switch on my Tv, just cut of power at the plug of switch off on the remote.
I have pain, bending to get to the plug at the back of the TV, so I just use the remote!
It happens less than once a week, so I hope they will fix that when they repair the TV.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I have pain, bending to get to the plug at the back of the TV, so I just use the remote!
Remote control power switches can be the answer to that. We use them in our house to switch those hard to reach mains sockets on and off. They use about 0.2 watts themselves but the remote control they come with will turn the mains off to anything that is plugged into the socket:

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/remote-co...t-3-pack-n79ka

Robert Dyas, Wilkinsons and other household/DIY shops might also sell them locally.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Remote control power switches can be the answer to that. We use them in our house to switch those hard to reach mains sockets on and off. They use about 0.2 watts themselves but the remote control they come with will turn the mains off to anything that is plugged into the socket:

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/remote-co...t-3-pack-n79ka

Robert Dyas, Wilkinsons and other household/DIY shops might also sell them locally.
Thank you mart, I can't get at my fridge & freezer plugs, or the washing machine , so they could be a big help!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top