Join for free
Page 62 of 274 « First < 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 112 162 > Last »
Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA
Bobby Àmericano is male  Bobby Àmericano has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 03:35 AM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
I expect I'm the only one here that thinks Bohemian Rhapsody is an over hyped load of old bo****ks.
Uh, no. I agree with you.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 04:23 AM

I expect I'm the only one here that thinks Bohemian Rhapsody is an over hyped load of old bo****ks.
Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Possibly. I hated it in the seventies but grew to like it.
Originally Posted by Bobby Àmericano ->
Uh, no. I agree with you.
Well my personal opinion about "Bo Rap" apart from being by the most over-played band in history is that it suffers from somehow finding itself No.1 in all the listeners' polls since sliced bread (well 1975 anyway).

Why this is I don't know, but I'm thinking it's because it's voted for by people who are "casual music listeners", rather like sheep who don't actually think too in depth about music, but follow the norm lazily. The same brigade who sing 'Summer of '69' or 'Angels' at karaoke discos.

The song is of course a brilliant piece of work, but if you do look deeper you will see that Queen were not the first band that year to use overdubs. That acolade falls to 10CC and their truly innovative single 'I'm Not In Love' and also a track called 'Un Nuit A Paris' on the parent album The Original Soundtrack. I'll post that album track when we reach it in the list.

But yeah, it's bollox to be honest. In a literal sense if you really think about it...it doesn't make any sense lyrically at least!

IMO as always!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Ha, ok, Floyd. Be prepared for the influences of a California upbringing and parents who loved everything musical genre out there.

Great CN track. It's new to me and so I'm exploring that album. Waiting for the inevitable CSN and CSNY that will show up higher, I am guessing?

There is a great story about how Crosby and Stills formed. Apparently they were at party at Joni Mitchell's (Stills claimed it was Cass Elliot's) house and Nash asked C and S if they would sing this song and if he could sing along, improvising a third harmony part. Apparently, the whole room went silent and Crosby said he knew instantly they had a sound that would be hard to beat. This of course was in the time of great harmony groups like the Everly Brothers, The Byrds, and my Beach Boys (good guees, Psmith .

Oh, and I would rank Coldplay, Parachutes higher. Seminal without a bad track on the album.
Great post(s) Surfermom, and thanks fro joining us in this rather alpha male dominated thread. Good to see you
I didn't know that story about CS&N, very interesting. Those Laurel Canyon types had a great scene going on and to have lived through it, albeit very young, at the time would have been fantastic I guess
Yeah, got some more CSN&Y and all their off-shoots and solo stuff still to come (quite a bit anyway), plus more Beach Boys, The Byrds, Joni et al. Please stay tuned.

Coldplay's Parachutes I used to adore when it came out but have gone off it a tad because commercial radio over here won't stop playing the two big singles and I'm sick to death of hearing them at work every night! But yeah, it's got some nice stuff on it. More Coldplay to come too though.

But, people, please remember that this list is only a personal choice, it's not a "be all and end all what should or should not be" type thing. It's not gospel. Everybody would have a different list of course. But please keep the conversation going, it's great hearing your views
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

20-02-2018, 04:33 AM

Perhaps Surfermom likes The Beach Boys ?
I know she likes 'Surfer Girl' from posting it to her on her birthday....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

20-02-2018, 05:10 PM

Only got time for one today. Ever heard of this chap?

No.709: "Cornflower Suite" by Suni McGrath (1969)

Suni McGrath was an unsung virtuoso guitarist who made largely unaccompanied records featuring acoustic guitar only. Vastly underrated in my opinion.

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I know she likes 'Surfer Girl' from posting it to her on her birthday....
And several others too. I am biting my tongue anticipating Pet Sounds might show up later...

But we shall see....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

21-02-2018, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
And several others too. I am biting my tongue anticipating Pet Sounds might show up later...

But we shall see....
I think you know that could be a certainty, Surfermom. Just can't reveal just where though yet.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

21-02-2018, 02:14 PM

No.708: "The Hush" by Texas (1999)

Sharleen Spiteri and her fellow Scots musicians with their late 90's offering full of catchy radio-safe singles.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

21-02-2018, 02:25 PM

No.707: "Ten" by Pearl Jam (1992)

Arriving in the midst of the U.S. 'Grunge' scene, Eddie Vedder's Pearl Jam were a tour-de-force of the genre, ably rivalling such fellow contemporaries as Metallica, Nirvana and Guns N' Roses to share that early 90's rock band title.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

21-02-2018, 02:38 PM

No.706: "Amused To Death" by Roger Waters (1992)

Playing a start-t-finish CD box set of all things Floyd in the car at the moment, coincidentally this album is on my stereo at the moment. From "the most miserable man in rock", I have had to re-shuffle my list around a little to drop this one down about 300 places for a rethink about it as I was actually getting to work feeling so gloomy and depressed.
The album is typical political-heavy Waters - sounding like dear old Uncle Joe set to music lol! - and doesn't offer a glimmer of hope or happiness withing it's lengthy 72 minutes.
What it does provide hoever is some excellent musicians, great guitar work and of all the tracks, I can only now select the first 'intro' by old First World War war veteran Bill Hubbard as the best track (and very poignant it is indeed in fact):

Page 62 of 274 « First < 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 112 162 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top